• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver throwing binkies, U/D post # 106

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
So as of this evening I noticed Fiver's droppings are shrinking. This is alarming considering it's just 2 weeks since Pip died, today, and she began with gut stasis.

He will lap up a bit of Critical Care and canned plain pumpkin (I just got done feeding him some) but he has been balking at putting the metacam syringe in his mouth for his doses morning and night. I'm worried he's got spurs or has cut his tongue or cheek, or there is something else in his mouth that he doesn't want anything in it like hay or syringes, so I have to hope he'll continue to eat the CC and pumpkin on his own if I offer them on a plate. He's also drinking less water than I'd like to see him do.

If I continue to feed him moist food he's going to have an attack of dysbiosis, but it can't be helped if he refuses to eat hay.

I have an appointment for Mimzy on Tuesday and am hoping to add Fiver to it as a long journey to the next town will likely stress him too much and I think he's had enough of that with Pip gone. I'm hoping I'm not looking at losing both of them that day, or God forbid over the weekend.

I know all I do is come in here for vibes, but I am desperate at this point. Besides this worry, I have others piling on like I'm being buried in quicksand. Could thoughts please be directed at my poor old boys that perhaps all options are not exhausted, and if they are if whatever needs to be done can be easier on them than it is going to be on me.

Many thanks in advance. xxxx

Last edited:
Oh no :( I'm sorry to hear this. At least he is happy to eat his the pumpkin and critical care though. That is something at least. Could you try picking out some softer strands of hay for him? Or maybe pick him some grass?
Sending lots of vibes for Fiver and Mimzy and big hugs for you. X

Thank you Roxy, no I can't get him any grass, the stuff we have in our yard has been messed on by dogs and god only knows what else. (I saw a dead raccoon in the road to town the other week, broke my heart.) I think folks use all sorts of pesticides here and ours got so long without my son mowing it that it's fairly badly diseased now. :(
I have tried to encourage him to eat some hay, but he's totally disinterested. He got this way a few months ago and recovered on his own before I had to take drastic measures, so I'm guessing he's brewing a spur or two. With him they don't have to get very large before he starts having problems. :(

Thank you for all the vibes and hugs, they mean a lot. :) I hope your boys are continuing to do well. xxxx

It does sound as though he has a sore mouth doesn't it. Do you have any prokinetics at all-Metoclopramide/Ranitidine ? If so maybe you could give the Vet a call and ask if it'd be OK to administer them alongside the CC feeds to try to keep his GI tract ticking over as well as possible until you can get him to the Clinic on Tuesday ? I'd try to time a CC feed immediately prior to his Metacam doses if possible, so he is not having the Metacam on an empty stomach.

Sending lots of vibes xx

I'm sorry you've got more concerns with your precious animals :( It certainly sounds as though his mouth is sore, doesn't it. I hope he is able to continue eating enough before Tuesday. Sending him loads of vibes. Also sending lots of hugs for you. Life has not been very fair to you recently.

Sorry to hear Fiver is causing you concern :(. Do you have any readigrass you can offer him? Honey can be a bit slow with her hay, but the readigrass helps. Or hay cookies (I think they are by Naturals).

Sending loads of hugs and vibes for you and your little ones x

So as of this evening I noticed Fiver's droppings are shrinking. This is alarming considering it's just 2 weeks since Pip died, today, and she began with gut stasis.

He will lap up a bit of Critical Care and canned plain pumpkin (I just got done feeding him some) but he has been balking at putting the metacam syringe in his mouth for his doses morning and night. I'm worried he's got spurs or has cut his tongue or cheek, or there is something else in his mouth that he doesn't want anything in it like hay or syringes, so I have to hope he'll continue to eat the CC and pumpkin on his own if I offer them on a plate. He's also drinking less water than I'd like to see him do.

If I continue to feed him moist food he's going to have an attack of dysbiosis, but it can't be helped if he refuses to eat hay.

I have an appointment for Mimzy on Tuesday and am hoping to add Fiver to it as a long journey to the next town will likely stress him too much and I think he's had enough of that with Pip gone. I'm hoping I'm not looking at losing both of them that day, or God forbid over the weekend.

I know all I do is come in here for vibes, but I am desperate at this point. Besides this worry, I have others piling on like I'm being buried in quicksand. Could thoughts please be directed at my poor old boys that perhaps all options are not exhausted, and if they are if whatever needs to be done can be easier on them than it is going to be on me.

Many thanks in advance. xxxx

MM :wave:

No peace for you, eh?

Yes perhaps a sore mouth, and worth a vet looking in there.

I wonder if in the meantime you could perhaps try feeding with the syringe in the other side of his mouth (if you have a 'usual' way of doing it or holding him?). If the mouth is sore one side then perhaps it may be more acceptable. I've found that with mine.

Thanks so much for your lovely PM :love: You are very kind and I am sending you all the love and vibes in the world xx

I'm at vet with Fiver. After morning meds he cant walk. Vibes please I cant lose another bunny.

Back