• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The cost of your RHD2 Vaccination may be a clue ..

MightyMax

Banned
.. as to whether it's Filavac or Eravac!

Does it matter? Well yes it does :)

Have a look at here and do a bit of reading ..

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ATED*-14th-January-2017&p=6881301#post6881301

......... and also post 434 by Santa on the same thread.

As to the factor of the cost - I did some research this morning among London vets. Some vets were charging over £70 for one vaccination of VHD2. On further enquiry I found that this was because they were actually offering ERAVAC and not FILAVAC. Eravac is licensed for use in the UK, but has only previously been used for meat rabbits. It hasn't been tested for duration of immunity, and is formulated with mineral oil which wouldn't be good if the operator self-injected and it's also a factor in injection site wounds.

Just be sure you are aware what you're paying for. It could be that if you're paying a lot for your vaccine it's Eravac, because the whole vial has to be destroyed within 24 hours of opening. Filavac are single use vials.

I hope that's clear!

Last edited:
So filavac is the better option? I'm just waiting for a call back from my vet now. X

That's the one I would go for, and recommend. I wouldn't want a vaccine that's not been designed with pet rabbits in mind, and where there's no definitive info about when to repeat the booster.

The other one - Eravac - is also likely to be *very* expensive.

I think you're very wise to be getting them vaccinated :D

So filavac is the better option? I'm just waiting for a call back from my vet now. X

that is the consensus. Eravac is only tested on meat rabbits so there is a huge question mark over its longevity in that no tests done - my simplistic take on it all

When I asked one London vet which vaccine he was using for RHD2, he had to go and actually get the vial out and come back and tell me! I'm not sure all of them are aware there's two sorts, and may think the one they've got is the 'correct' one

There's been very little adverse reaction to it, and I feel it's a really good thing. And I am always cautious! x

Coco seems okay, Adrian's just let them out into the garden, but Thumper seems to be a bit bothered. She's been out in the garden, running about and eating the grass, but also lying down on occasion. When she went back into the run, she was kinda rolling in the hay. I'm wondering if the injection site was itching but she can't get to it? What do you think?

Coco seems okay, Adrian's just let them out into the garden, but Thumper seems to be a bit bothered. She's been out in the garden, running about and eating the grass, but also lying down on occasion. When she went back into the run, she was kinda rolling in the hay. I'm wondering if the injection site was itching but she can't get to it? What do you think?

The RWAF has published a guide which says that reactions are normally limited to 'transient skin irritation' and 'transient lethargy'.

I wouldn't worry atm Angie. Hopefully it will disappear within a day or two x

There are also some vets (especially in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire area) who genuinely have been charging up to £70 for a filavac vaccine!! I know I mostly defend vets and their pricing but some of those were :shock:

Regardless of the price, it's probably worth double checking which vaccine you are being offered now anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if some people are now just ordering "the RHD2 vaccine" and aren't particularly registering that they are receiving Eravac, particularly if they've delegated the ordering to another member of staff or if they're just getting it in new for people who are asking. There are also still people (I heard of one today) who have been given nobivac when they've explicitly said they want the RHD2 vaccine.

I don't think that my vets is on the list. The map doesn't work very well on my phone though. They have 3 practices around the Stoke-On-Trent area. How do they get added to the map? Xx

Last edited:
The RWAF has published a guide which says that reactions are normally limited to 'transient skin irritation' and 'transient lethargy'.

I wouldn't worry atm Angie. Hopefully it will disappear within a day or two x

Thank you, MM :)

I've posted on the other thread, save repeating it here, except she won't accept treats now whereas she was before :(

Hopefully she'll have perked up when she sees Adrian, rather than me, at bedtime (around 9pm) as I'm very much the "bad bunny mummy" at the moment whereas Adrian is quite the opposite!

Last edited:
There are also some vets (especially in the Oxfordshire/Berkshire area) who genuinely have been charging up to £70 for a filavac vaccine!! I know I mostly defend vets and their pricing but some of those were :shock:

Regardless of the price, it's probably worth double checking which vaccine you are being offered now anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if some people are now just ordering "the RHD2 vaccine" and aren't particularly registering that they are receiving Eravac, particularly if they've delegated the ordering to another member of staff or if they're just getting it in new for people who are asking. There are also still people (I heard of one today) who have been given nobivac when they've explicitly said they want the RHD2 vaccine.

I think this is highly likely Santa, if my research today was anything to go by!

I don't think that my vets is on the list. The map doesn't work very well on my phone though. They have 3 practices around the Stoke-On-Trent area. How do they get added to the map? Xx

I put them on when I find out who has got it :) So whenever someone lets me know (either via social media, message, 'contact us' page on the map website, I add them. I also do a weekly trawl of social media and google to try and pick up any practices who have put information about it on the web. If you think you know one that isn't on there (that goes for anyone reading this) please do let me know and I'll add them.

Back