• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange Mutterings - Update

Sandi-C

Young Bun
I posted last week regarding funny little noises my baby girl was making and thank you to the 2 people who replied (out of 75 odd views!).

I ended up rushing her to the vets this morning where they are keeping her in for bloods and X-rays as she has stasis possibly brought on by a respiratory infection.
The vet said the 'mutterings' were actually wheeze.

Anyway, lets hope the little baby makes it eh.

Last edited:
I am sorry that you feel the Forum has been unhelpful. Most of us do our best to offer support when and where we can. I hope that your Doe will respond well to treatment.

I posted last week regarding funny little noises my baby girl was making and thank you to the 2 people who replied (out of 75 odd views!).

I ended up rushing her to the vets this morning where they are keeping her in for bloods and X-rays as she has stasis possibly brought on by a respiratory infection.

Not once have I read about wheeze noises or did anyone suggest on here that's what it might be so I am very surprised with the amount of people who are on here every day, all the 'experts', that not one of you could help me with this and now my baby is at the vets in a state.

I feel disappointed in the little amount of help I received and quite shocked as most of you seem to sit on here replying to nonsense that's not even rabbit related.

I am no way an expert, but I am sure those who understood your rabbit's illness would have responded. However, as Tamsin (who owns this site) says, what anyone here offers is absolutely no substitute for vet's advice. That should always be your first port of call, not waiting for responses on here.

I really hope your rabbit gets better :)

Not once have I read about wheeze noises or did anyone suggest on here that's what it might be so I am very surprised with the amount of people who are on here every day, all the 'experts', that not one of you could help me with this and now my baby is at the vets in a state.

I feel disappointed in the little amount of help I received and quite shocked as most of you seem to sit on here replying to nonsense that's not even rabbit related.

A lot of people on here will take time to help, but we aren't vets, a lot of us aren't experts,and as the paragraph at the top of the health section states, it is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian

the people viewing the thread would not think it was a wheezing noise if you described it as mutterings.

As for the number of views, this could be made up of the same person viewing the thread more than once, you viewing your own thread, and other people who are not members viewing the thread.

Personally I find the people on here more than helpful with all manner of rabbit and non rabbit related issues. I'm sorry you do not share this view.

Sending lots of vibes for your rabbit.

People generally reply when they feel they have something to offer from their own experiences. A set of symptoms may prompt a response based on someone's personal experience - often it's a 'vet NOW' or 'vet tomorrow' type response.

'Mutterings' in a rabbit with no other issues are often hormonal - Spring fever is quite likely around now, even in neutered rabbits. Anything else ought to be investigated professionally. Rabbits hide their symptoms well and it can be difficult to spot what is wrong. Often it is no more than a gut feeling. I would always go with my instinct - if something seems wrong, it probably is and professional help should be sought. We are not vets and are not qualified to diagnose health issues. I hope your rabbit responds to treatment.

I remember reading your post and agreeing with the replies that you already had which is why I didn't respond myself.
Unfortunately you are the only person that actually heard the sound that your girl was making so we could only go off the description that you gave.
Somebody did suggest recording and posting the noise too so that they could help further and advise you if it was something to be worried about.
I hope that she makes a speedy recovery.
X

Apologies to everyone, I'm just beyond stressed. I lost her brother 2 months ago.

I'm very sorry to hear this :(
I lost one of my boys in November and the week after my other boy had to be hospitalised too so I understand how you are feeling. Caring for a sick bunny can be very stressful.
I hope that she starts to feel better soon.
X

So sorry that you lost a bun a couple of months ago, many of us on here can empathise with how you are feeling. Really hope that your bun at the vets, responds well to treatment, let us know how she's doing.

Back