• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Geraniums

MightyMax

Banned
Could anyone please advise exactly the sort of Geranium/Pelargonium I can grow for next year for me and the rabbits? :wave:

I want the rabbits to be able to munch on them, but Geraniums have always been something of a confusion for me. In the wild I've spotted them and know what to look for, but all the cultivated varieties look so different to those and I am very wary.

For example, this came to my Inbox today .

http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/ge...117a&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=etx180117a

... is there anything there that's suitable for rabbits?

Thanks so much - I appreciate any advice :D

Could anyone please advise exactly the sort of Geranium/Pelargonium I can grow for next year for me and the rabbits? :wave:

I want the rabbits to be able to munch on them, but Geraniums have always been something of a confusion for me. In the wild I've spotted them and know what to look for, but all the cultivated varieties look so different to those and I am very wary.

For example, this came to my Inbox today .

http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/ge...117a&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=etx180117a

... is there anything there that's suitable for rabbits?

Thanks so much - I appreciate any advice :D

It is confusing. The ones on your link are all Pelargoniums and are not suitable for rabbits (they have somehow confusingly been given the name Geranium as well).

You want to be looking for perennial Geraniums, which will come up every year. Rabbits can eat any of these. We have several different types. They also look more like the wild ones. I'll have a look for a link for you later :)

It is confusing. The ones on your link are all Pelargoniums and are not suitable for rabbits (they have somehow confusingly been given the name Geranium as well).

You want to be looking for perennial Geraniums, which will come up every year. Rabbits can eat any of these. We have several different types. They also look more like the wild ones. I'll have a look for a link for you later :)

Thank you Omi :D

If there are any links to reputable companies that sell them, or seeds that I can germinate myself, please link those too. I don't want to risk getting the wrong thing!

Thank you Omi :D

If there are any links to reputable companies that sell them, or seeds that I can germinate myself, please link those too. I don't want to risk getting the wrong thing!

This is the nursery I usually get my perennials from. http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/search.php?Go=%A0&q=geraniums

Any of these would be OK. She doesn't sell Pelargoniums, so you won't go wrong. As I said, we have several and I find that the ones with the largest leaves are the most suitable for the rabbits.

I was cutting mine down a few days ago and still found a few leaves left for the rabbits :D

I'm happy to vet any others that you find elsewhere :)

I think the wild geraniums from my old foraging spot were the best value out of everything, it had a massively long season & got scoffed throughout

As above pelagonium unsuitable. But the geranium of same name like wild ones is the one your after

Thank you minilop :) With your beautiful garden I thought you would know!

Thank you for the links Omi, I shall have a browse later, and also check anything I order with you.

I'm really grateful :D

2efc7b7b1eaa4cc3deffb29166317d47-1.jpg

There are some blue cornflowers to the right - near the pot of ?herbs.
The small white flowers flopping over the front brick edge - carnations?

Thank you to all who have replied on this thread :wave:

I am going to look at the links soon and get ordering.

I've been a bit slow due to being overtaken by a serious bunny emergency ... But I really do appreciate everyone's input xx

Thank you to all who have replied on this thread :wave:

I am going to look at the links soon and get ordering.

I've been a bit slow due to being overtaken by a serious bunny emergency ... But I really do appreciate everyone's input xx

Oh no hope all is OK xx

Back