• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cloudy eye

samijofood

Young Bun
My jed has developed a cloudy eye, he's going to vet first thing in the morning to have it checked out. He's 9 years old and been a very healthy bunny all his life. He's not off his food and still runs around the house at full pelt.
Because of his age and the fact he's not phased by only seeing with one eye I'm reluctant about surgery if it's suggested tomorrow.
What would anyone else suggest?

No experience so can't really give any advice, but like you if its not causing him a problem, I would be reluctant for surgery. Good luck at vets, let us know how it goes x

c476dc07ccd8efb304cbfc3598c46abb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My jed has developed a cloudy eye, he's going to vet first thing in the morning to have it checked out. He's 9 years old and been a very healthy bunny all his life. He's not off his food and still runs around the house at full pelt.
Because of his age and the fact he's not phased by only seeing with one eye I'm reluctant about surgery if it's suggested tomorrow.
What would anyone else suggest?

It looks like it could be a cataract. Is it just the one eye?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Cat/Cat_en.htm

Yeah he's eating and drinking as normal and still running about the house. I know he's getting old , I just d9nt want to put him under a lot of stress if it's not necessary. I want him to be as healthy and happy as possible for the rest of his life weather it's months or years from now.

I guess 9 would be getting old. It's about the age cataracts and arthritis and all that jazz start to rear their heads. Hopefully the other eye will stay OK for a good while yet :D

Must admit he is getting very cuddly as he's got older. Even though he was neutered at 9months he's never been a cuddly lots of fuss bunny. It's always had to be on his terms with cuddles and fuss. He welcomes it now and like to sit next to me on the back of the sofa while I stroke him watching TV. Lol

His eye looks a little bulgy in the picture ? That may be normal for him though and hard to tell by the picture.
If it's not causing him bother I would also be reluctant to remove it.
Our rabbit pepper developed glaucoma when she was 7 and it kinda looked like this ? Not at first though, it kinda progressed to cloudiness. We managed this with eye drops.
Whatever it is i hope he continues to do well xx

His eye looks a little bulgy in the picture ? That may be normal for him though and hard to tell by the picture.
Our rabbit pepper developed glaucoma when she was 7 and it kinda looked like this ? Not at first though, it kinda progressed to cloudiness. We managed this with eye drops.
His eye isn't swollen or had any discharge or irritation.

I know what you mean, but I find little Nethies eyes can look a bit sort of bulgy sometimes :)

No need to remove it for a cataract :)

Good luck at the vet. It looks like a cataract. My 11 year old bun suddenly developed one a couple of months ago. He was tested for glaucoma and that was fine. He has had bad ulcers develop, but not connected to the cataract. Perhaps your vet will decide to check for ulcers.

The vet had said he wouldn't do anything for the cataract, given Bubbles age. If it is only the one eye, your little one will still see ok anyway.

Seem that he's happy and eating they are going to leave it unless he starts to develop problems

Seem that he's happy and eating they are going to leave it unless he starts to develop problems

I agree with this :)

If there's any change to the condition the vet will know what to do, and if necessary he can refer you to an ophthalmologist. Very often cataracts stay as they are, or at least don't cause any further complications ...

Good luck xx

Back