• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange Mutterings?

Sandi-C

Young Bun
Good Morning Everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered before, or I am posting the question in the wrong section!

I have an adorable rescue girl, approx. 7 months old, not spayed as yet. She has never made a noise once and all of a sudden she has started making the strangest noises? I can't describe them exactly, like little mutterings and then she'll do one huge mutter and go quiet.

Nothing else has changed, she is still eating and playing and going to the toilet as normal. She usually does it during the night and has woke me up doing it. It's quite cute but at the same time is this ok? She's not trying to tell me something is she? I've read other people's previous posts and some say their rabbits do it around food, but this is not the case here. It's mainly when she's resting.

She is bonded with a one year old male and they are fine and happy otherwise.

Any clues or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Sandra

My guess would be that it is hormone driven in view of her age. Do you intend to get her spayed?

Could it be honking? I'll try to Google examples of this when I'm not using mobile data.

Honking is usually a mating sound, but can also be heard when excited/happy.

One of my females will honk as she hops over to me if I lay on the floor.

If it's honking it not something I'd be worried about, but definitely have her spayed for health benefits.
If you could get a recording of the sound one night it may help us more easily establish if it's something you should be worried about.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back