• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded bunnies: Chasing and fur pulling after each dental

Wigs

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I have two happily bonded bunnies, Logan (male) and Sylvie (female), both neutered. They have been together since last September.

Unfortunately Logan has to have regular dentals, at the moment he is having a dental once every 5/6 weeks.

The issues with their bond happen when we come back home after every dental. To begin with they're fine, but within a few hours Sylvie starts chasing Logan, pulling his fur and doesn't let him settle for long to rest. There is never anything more serious than this and it never escalates to fighting. However, this obviously makes it more difficult for Logan to recover.

I've tried taking Logan on his own for the dental, and taking both of them together. It seems to make no difference to the bonding issues.

Usually they settle down within a few days after a regular dental, but on two occasions the dental has involved an overnight stay. Both times Logan was in a worse state after the dental and I felt I had to separate them for Logan to recover and then had to go through the re-bonding process.

If the bunnies didn't get on so well the rest of the time I would seriously be considering whether they are the right match, but they are brilliant otherwise. Really lovely and cuddly together.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar or any suggestions for a better way of managing this? At the moment I feel like I'm really struggling and fumbling through and not necessarily making the right decisions for them.

Thanks in advance :wave:
Claire

Last edited:
I can't advise as haven't had this happen,(although I know it is common after a vet visit/when a bunny is unwell) bumping up for you.

I've not personally experienced it, but it is known to happen after vet visits etc.

(I'm lucky in a sense that if the submissive bun is ill, the dominant lays off the dominant behaviour until she's recovered).

The only thing I can suggest is make sure they always go together & stay together etc.
When you get them home, try confining their space and gradually increasing it over a couple days. This may help reduce the behaviour.

I think you may just have to do trial and error to see what helps.

It might also be worth using pet remedy to help keep them calmer.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you both :)

I will definitely continue taking them together. I think you're right daphnephoebe that I'll have to do trial and error the next few dentals. I think next time I may get rid of their wooden house from their pen for when they come home and just leave them food, water and litter trays plus a few toys. I'll also leave the pen closed so they're restricted to that space. Hopefully that will reduce Sylvie's dominance. It's just so difficult to see her bullying Logan when he's already feeling poorly! :(

I may well try the pet remedy as well, it can't hurt. I have seen it before and wasn't sure whether it would make any difference, or if it was a bit of a gimmick!

Thanks again for the bump and the advice :)

Back