• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye removal in elderly rabbit

weedug

Mama Doe
My 11 year old boy, Mr Bubble has a cataract in his eye and a greying of his cornea which the vet said was fatty or mineral deposits, and is blind. He also has huge ulcers in both eyes which cause him a lot of pain.

The vet has said that if we can't get on top of the ulcers/pain, he should remove the eyes, one at a time.

I am worried that this would be too much for Bubble, especially at his age. He has just been treated for an active ec infection and I am struggling to keep weight on him. Blood tests came back ok, but another vet was told by the lab that the ec has damaged his kidneys. I have no idea why they said that, unless it was the blood titre levels, which were 1200.

Just wondered what others thought?

My 11 year old boy, Mr Bubble has a cataract in his eye and a greying of his cornea which the vet said was fatty or mineral deposits, and is blind. He also has huge ulcers in both eyes which cause him a lot of pain.

The vet has said that if we can't get on top of the ulcers/pain, he should remove the eyes, one at a time.

I am worried that this would be too much for Bubble, especially at his age. He has just been treated for an active ec infection and I am struggling to keep weight on him. Blood tests came back ok, but another vet was told by the lab that the ec has damaged his kidneys. I have no idea why they said that, unless it was the blood titre levels, which were 1200.

Just wondered what others thought?

Gosh what a tough call :cry: I dont feel able to say what is the 'right' thing to do as each Rabbit's situation will be unique. All I will say is that I would not only take Mr B's age into account. I'd want to know if he does have any renal impairment from EC. I would struggle to agree to an 11 year old Rabbit in CRF having a bilateral enucleation. The fact that two separate GAs would be needed would further complicate things. I'd also look at the recovery time and how well Mr B copes with a lot of hands on care/Vet visits etc.

I am sure that you will do what is in Mr B's best interests and I am very sorry that he is struggling so much. I know how special he is to you xx

I don't have any experience of this so I can't advise. I'm sending lots of vibes for him and hugs for you. I'm sure you will do what is best for him xx

Thank you both for replying. The vet said that kidney problems don't usually show until they have lost 70% of their function. The original vet (my usual) said that the blood had coagulated so they couldn't do some if the tests :?. Because I know this, I feel the vet I see now isn't being honest with me.

Bubble is fine with being handled at home, but struggles with vet visits and usually needs gut stimulants just for a usual visit. I really think it would be too much for him, but if we can't get on top of the pain then what option do I have?

Can't quite remember the exact username, but Missy SJ recently had an eye removal for her 10 year old bunny Pebbles. It was that or pts so she decided to go for it and Pebbles surprised everyone by bouncing back brilliantly and it's given her a new lease of life. It's entirely possible that she'd had a headache or similar for a while and as soon as the problem eye was removed she felt much better straight away. I think she might have written about it on here so might be worth searching for the thread. Good luck x

Edit: found the thread:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?459639-Detached-Lens&highlight=Pebbles

Back