• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alf has been very poorly - don't know why :(

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
My poor bunny :(

Within the space of 10 minutes he'd gone from alert, responsive and seemingly fine to flat out, barely breathing with really bad diarrhea. Rushed him straight to the vets, was seen almost immediately and they could tell he was not well at all. He was in such a mess underneath and smelt awful but obviously my main concern was how lethargic he was. It was horrible seeing him like that :(

Thankfully he improved overnight and came home this afternoon. I was really surprised he came home today, considering how poorly he was last night! But he's doing everything right, and hopefully is happier here than at the vets. Now he's a bit smelly and dirty, and very subdued, but eating/drinking/pooing/weeing - albeit small poos and not eating with great gusto but it's better than nothing. I was so worried he wasn't going to survive the car journey, let alone the night, but my vets have been incredible with him.

I think I caught him as it had just happened - TMI but the diarrhea hadn't finished coming - so was able to get him help ASAP. Thank God I looked on him as I was passing (I went for tea, he appeared fine, came back 10 mins later and he was clearly very poorly), if I'd not have noticed it it would have been a very different story - God forbid it'd happened overnight :(

My main worry now is what caused it...The vet thinks he ate something toxic but I don't know how or what. He went out the night before for some free range time but I supervised him and there was nothing in the hall he could have eaten. He'd only had hay, fibafirst and broccoli that day - nothing unusual and he has broccoli every day. I just hope it doesn't happen again :(

I'm still paranoid, keep checking him and am worried he's still poorly. I know he'll feel like he's been hit with a frying pan but he wouldn't even swallow the meds fully. He is eating, pooing and weeing so I know I can't really hope for more, but still...My poor little bunny :( I feel so sorry for him :(

Poor little Alf. Hope he continues to improve. They really do go downhill quickly don't they.

Poor little Alf. Hope he continues to improve. They really do go downhill quickly don't they.

Indeed. It all seemed to happen so quick - I am just so glad I didn't walk past, or that he didn't become ill overnight.

His stomach is rumbling louder than mine :lol: for such a little bunny he makes a lot of noise!

I'm sorry Alf isn't well, it's so worrying isn't it. I'm currently nursing one of my buns who, like yours, is eating, drinking etc but is so lethargic and depressed looking x

I'm sorry Alf isn't well, it's so worrying isn't it. I'm currently nursing one of my buns who, like yours, is eating, drinking etc but is so lethargic and depressed looking x

I keep telling myself that the vet was happy to send him home so he's OK, but my paranoid brain keeps telling me otherwise :roll: I trust my vet and I don't feel they weren't wrong to discharge him, but it's so hard to override the paranoia! Gonna get up in the night to prompt him with more food. The things we do, eh!

Pour Alf 😔 I worry about Ghibli & Twinkle ✨ all the time. It's a really horrible thing to go through, but the most important thing is that you kept your head, and got him the help he needed right away. He's lucky to have you. Sending big love 🐰♥️🐰

Ghibli & Twinkle ✨ [and Barry]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

You said he does not swallow his meds fully. What meds was he prescribed? Tummy issues in a bunny can be very serious and can be painful. A rabbit in pain will not eat or drink and will be very lethargic. Also, how is his hydration? If he is still having diarrhea he may be dehydrating. It can happen quickly with a small bunny like Alf. The vet may need to give him fluids-sub Q or IV depending on his level of illness. Years ago I learned how to give sub Q fluids and it is my opinion that they help the bunny clean toxins and byproducts from bacterial issues as well keeping the bunny hydrated. I recommend that you contact the vet to see if he needs to be hospitalized, or if your vet wants to add/change meds. Also you may need to give your bunny meds via injection if you cannot get him to swallow the other meds fully.
Sometimes a fresh batch of hay or nuggets or a different brand can cause gastrointestinal issues in bunnies. Is the hay stored in a clean dry area so it does not grow mold or other spores? Some packaged hay may be musty or have mold from the packager/store.

Sending you and Alf some feel better vibes.

Oh no poor Alf, I really hope he's doing better this morning. Gentle nose rubs and lots of vibes for you little man xxxx

He's a bit brighter this morning. Still doesn't really want to come out of his hideyhole but took his meds better and has been eating kale and dandelion leaves. I don't want to give him loads, as his tummy is obviously sensitive, but I want him to keep eating enough for his gut to keep improving.

Today we must brave a bath :( he's very smelly and I can't leave him like that. Even though he is cleaning himself every so often he isn't doing enough. I don't really want to - I feel he's been through enough recently - but needs must. He's going to hate me even more now :roll:

He's a bit brighter this morning. Still doesn't really want to come out of his hideyhole but took his meds better and has been eating kale and dandelion leaves. I don't want to give him loads, as his tummy is obviously sensitive, but I want him to keep eating enough for his gut to keep improving.

Today we must brave a bath :( he's very smelly and I can't leave him like that. Even though he is cleaning himself every so often he isn't doing enough. I don't really want to - I feel he's been through enough recently - but needs must. He's going to hate me even more now :roll:

So sorry to hear this Jemima :(

Sending loads of get well vibes for Alf :wave:

I am glad your Alf is doing better today. I presume you will just be doing a quick wash of his stinky spots only. Even a shallow soak in plain water may let him remove the rest himself. You may need to wear a raincoat if he is anything like some of my bunnies!

He's a bit brighter again today. Not 100% recovered, but improving every day. He's still sleeping a lot, spending most of his time in the back corner of his den in his tunnel. The bath wasn't as bad as I thought - he relaxed during the actual bath, but hated the drying. I daren't use the hairdryer like some people so tried to gently pat him but he wasn't having any of that! So instead I confined him to the kitchen and put towels on the floor and turned the radiators on. He's inside anyway so it wouldn't have been like putting him back outside wet, but it didn't take long for him to be all dry. He's not smelly anymore either - yay!

The only thing I'm still a bit worried about is his lack of drinking. When he was hospitalised originally he went on a drip, and when he came home he was obviously hydrated enough. I've not seen him drink much the last day or two though, and his water doesn't seem to be going down much. I have been putting Avipro in as per the vet's instructions, but have also ended up putting another bowl of water without the Avipro in because I obviously don't want him to get dehydrated again.

I know he's feeling better because he's resisting his medicine :D

He's had some blood results back and they're all normal - just waiting for two more to come back now. Still no idea what caused it, but we'll probably never know!

Last edited:
Glad he's doing better, and he's all sweet smelling again. Not sure what to suggest re drinking, would he eat some herbs dipped in water ?

Back