• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly old rabbit

jasperrab

New Kit
Hi all,

My bunny, Jasper, is about 8 to 12yrs old and was left with me by a "friend" about four years ago. He wasn't being fed often, had stomach pains, was never cleaned out and he bit a lot. I started feeding him spring greens and carrots with hay and bunny brunch and talked to him and he would hop around when he saw me and his tummy pains stopped and he's never bitten me, he licks my hands though!

I think because of his age he can't bend to clean himself and so he gets very messy and matted, he gets urine scald and has (I think) an abscess on his belly. He also has allergies and I've never been able to work out was causing it (I took him to the vet to make sure it wasn't snuffles). I've been trying to keep his bottom area clean and cleaning the abscess which gets very mucky. My issue is I can't get to the vets until my dad can take me and I don't want bunny stressed because it's a long drive. I have someone coming to sort out the matted fur that I can't deal with (I worry about hurting him). I have also been using a warm compress on his eyes to ease his allergies. Is there anything I can do to help him feel better until I can get him to the vets and is there any way to keep him calm on the way? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello, welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that Jasper has some health issues.

I think the issue which would concern me the most is your thought that he has an abscess on his stomach. Abscesses are very difficult to treat in rabbits. He will probably need antibiotics and the sooner you can get vetinary treatment the more likely the treatment will be successful. If it is an abscess, then Jasper will be in pain and so pain relief for him is really essential. You could also then discuss with the vet the other issues that Jasper has.

Sending lots of vibes for Jasper and I hope that you can arrange for him to be seen by the vet soon.

Hi all,

My bunny, Jasper, is about 8 to 12yrs old and was left with me by a "friend" about four years ago. He wasn't being fed often, had stomach pains, was never cleaned out and he bit a lot. I started feeding him spring greens and carrots with hay and bunny brunch and talked to him and he would hop around when he saw me and his tummy pains stopped and he's never bitten me, he licks my hands though!

I think because of his age he can't bend to clean himself and so he gets very messy and matted, he gets urine scald and has (I think) an abscess on his belly. He also has allergies and I've never been able to work out was causing it (I took him to the vet to make sure it wasn't snuffles). I've been trying to keep his bottom area clean and cleaning the abscess which gets very mucky. My issue is I can't get to the vets until my dad can take me and I don't want bunny stressed because it's a long drive. I have someone coming to sort out the matted fur that I can't deal with (I worry about hurting him). I have also been using a warm compress on his eyes to ease his allergies. Is there anything I can do to help him feel better until I can get him to the vets and is there any way to keep him calm on the way? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there and welcome to RU :wave:

Well done you for taking on Jasper and attending to his care so well.

Does the person who's coming to sort out his matted fur know lots about rabbits and can they perhaps advise on a few of his health issues first hand?

A vet really needs to assess him as it sounds from what you've described that he may have arthritis. There is pain medication he can get for that which will help him to perhaps be able to clean himself better. Poor lad probably can't clean himself because he's stiff or maybe it's painful for him.

A warm compress is good for eye problems, but he may need some drops or something if they aren't getting better - is Jasper an outdoor rabbit?

Lots of rabbits get stressed going to the vets, but keep him nice and warm in a padded carrier (for his old bones) and talk to him gently all the time. He will know you're looking after him.

Let me know when you're able to see a vet - which part of the country are you in? :)

My friend who is coming to trim him has had lots of rabbits. I live in Scotland. I found my old rabbit meds from when I first took him about his allergies. It's called baytril which is apparently an antibiotic. If he had allergies and the vet didn't do any tests on him I don't understand why he would have been prescribed them. I'm phoning my dad again before work to try and get him to the vet asap as I'm worried that maybe it is snuffles and not allergies. ��

My friend who is coming to trim him has had lots of rabbits. I live in Scotland. I found my old rabbit meds from when I first took him about his allergies. It's called baytril which is apparently an antibiotic. If he had allergies and the vet didn't do any tests on him I don't understand why he would have been prescribed them. I'm phoning my dad again before work to try and get him to the vet asap as I'm worried that maybe it is snuffles and not allergies. ��

I'm glad you're considering taking Jasper to the vet.

If you feel your vet doesn't know as much about rabbits as you might like, then post another thread in rabbit chat with the title:
"Rabbit Savvy vet needed urgently in (your location)" and members here will help you locate a good vet.

Good luck xx

I would definitely take him to a rabbit savvy vet asap, he may need different antibiotics and also painkillers, rabbits try to hide illness and often do it very well, he may well be in a lot of pain.

I am so sorry for the loss of Jasper. Rabbits have a way of finding a way to our hearts and then taking a part of us with them when they pass away. He was lucky to have found you and you him.

Condolences

I'm so sorry you lost Jasper.

Sounds like you did everything you could. I'm glad the old boy was able to have some happiness with you before he left.

Its amasing how quickly these little creatures can take over your heart.

RIP Jasper.

*hugs*

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry: It sounds like you doted on him and he was adored. You can give no greater gift to an animal companion. Especially an elder one. Bless you.
Sleep well, Jasper. xxxx

Back