• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear problem....

Two days ago topsy (who lives with flopsy)
Had a cut on the inside of her ear after been in the greenhouse (winter pen) I assumed that she had caught it on a nail in a wooden pallet they play with.

But after checking today they now seems to be a chunk as you can see in the photos.
Other than that they would be no signs of fighting!

Both rabbits seem happy together never seen any fighting share everything and spend lots of time with each other.

We got them at 8 weeks and now about 5 month.

Any advice or ideas...

1517077c96be16c2015a969dce4cec7d.jpg

ec818fac8db3ccf39305975368cf55f2.jpg

5888a5b14f87662c2c3ecd6b9452c5dd.jpg

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. Which sex are your rabbits? It rather looks like a chunk of someone's ear has been bitten off.

When you have 2 females together, one is always the boss. This can mean the other one gets chased and this can include nipping. They are now at the hormonal stage so you need to keep monitoring them as obviously it's not very pleasant being chased. Are you going to consider having them spayed?

We had decided not too because of the risks post op of infection but may have a look at a few more threads on here.

Be will be keeping an eye on them

We had decided not too because of the risks post op of infection but may have a look at a few more threads on here.

Be will be keeping an eye on them

If you are wanting to keep them together then I would recommend getting them spayed by a rabbit savvy vet. If you don't get them spayed it would be unlikely that their hormones would allow them to live together harmoniously. It also removes the very high risk of them developing womb cancer.

If they are fighting then you will need to separate and try rebonding in a neutral area 6 weeks after their spay.

Keeping a close eye on them... Put in a apple branch and some toilet roll tubes with a treat and hay in.... And no more signs of any fights this morning!!!!

Back