• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing when outside

anaqi

Warren Scout
Hi!

My girl, Twix, has been sneezing recently and the vet is baffled.

It started a few weeks ago, as soon as she got out onto the lawn she would sneeze, sometimes just the once, sometimes three or four times in a row. Sometimes the sneeze sounds more like a cough, sort of a grunt and a sneeze. Recently her nose has been a little wet when she's nudged my hand. She drinks from a bottle not a water bowl and her housing is dry. Her behaviour is normal, she's active and playful and she's eating and pooping well.

I took her in to the vets yesterday for a health check. Everything was fine, her nasal passages are not obstructed, her teeth are OK, her eyes are clean and bright, her ears look fine too. She appears to be perfectly healthy. The vet didn't know what to suggest other than to keep an eye on her.

I wondered if the dust from the horse sized bag of Readigrass I bought could be irritating her nose but the vet said that wouldn't explain why she sneezes when she's out on the lawn. It's really quite odd. She lives with Edward in a large hutch which is permanently attached to a run via a pipe connector. Every morning I let them both out onto the lawn for a play and to eat the grass and as soon as Twix gets outside she sneezes.

Does any have any ideas what could be making her sneeze?

Thanks!

Clair

The only thing I can think of is that she may have an allergy to grass as it only happens when she is in close proximity to it. You have got an all clear from the vet regarding other possible causes, so unfortunately I think you just need to keep a close eye on her.

My doe actually sneezes whenever I refresh their hay and the hay is not dusty. I have always assumed she has a slight allergy towards it.

The only thing I can think of is that she may have an allergy to grass as it only happens when she is in close proximity to it. You have got an all clear from the vet regarding other possible causes, so unfortunately I think you just need to keep a close eye on her.

My doe actually sneezes whenever I refresh their hay and the hay is not dusty. I have always assumed she has a slight allergy towards it.
My thoughts too

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi!

My girl, Twix, has been sneezing recently and the vet is baffled.

It started a few weeks ago, as soon as she got out onto the lawn she would sneeze, sometimes just the once, sometimes three or four times in a row. Sometimes the sneeze sounds more like a cough, sort of a grunt and a sneeze. Recently her nose has been a little wet when she's nudged my hand. She drinks from a bottle not a water bowl and her housing is dry. Her behaviour is normal, she's active and playful and she's eating and pooping well.

I took her in to the vets yesterday for a health check. Everything was fine, her nasal passages are not obstructed, her teeth are OK, her eyes are clean and bright, her ears look fine too. She appears to be perfectly healthy. The vet didn't know what to suggest other than to keep an eye on her.

I wondered if the dust from the horse sized bag of Readigrass I bought could be irritating her nose but the vet said that wouldn't explain why she sneezes when she's out on the lawn. It's really quite odd. She lives with Edward in a large hutch which is permanently attached to a run via a pipe connector. Every morning I let them both out onto the lawn for a play and to eat the grass and as soon as Twix gets outside she sneezes.

Does any have any ideas what could be making her sneeze?

Thanks!

Clair

It's quite rare for a rabbit to have an allergy to lawn grass. If the sneezing has only begun since you've had the dusty readigrass, then I would strongly suspect that as the culprit, given there are no other contributing factors like infection.

The fact that she sneezes when on the lawn could be related to an earlier 'dust up the nose' episode, because outside she needs to use more energy and therefore breathe faster and deeper whilst exercising.

Just a thought ... :)

Thanks for the replies.

Twix sneezing started around the time I got the big bag of Readigrass. I'm not sure why she only sneezed outside on the lawn. It's weird. She takes three or four hops out onto the lawn, so she's not exactly breathing that hard, then she starts eating the grass, then she sneezes. She does it more when the grass is wet. Twix does love her food and I wondered if she's getting water up her nose in her rush to eat the wet grass?

I've got a new hay rack to try and contain the dust from the Readigrass. Edward is an awkward so-and-so and refuses to eat other kinds of hay. I also give it a shake to try and get rid of the worst of the dust but that's not great for me because I'm allergic to it! LOL!

My rabbit sneezes and sometimes hiccups when she comes inside for a runaround in warmer months. Same thing, vet couldn't find anything wrong with her breathing or nose. In the end I just put it down to her getting overexcited at the change of environment. She's completely fine otherwise although I do keep an eye on her breathing generally because I'm a worrier(!)

Back