• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benji will only use the litter tray in living room but not the one in his enclosure

BenjiBun

Young Bun
Our rabbit Benji has been very good at using his litter tray and appeared to be fully trained since we've had him, apart from a few stray droppings.

Although on Christmas day there was a bit of excitement in our house with presents being opened and he peed on the floor in front of the telly, apart from the he appeared to be relaxed and not stressed and interacting with us as we were sitting on the floor with him.
So i quickly cleaned it up, neutralised the area with some white vinegar and water. Then from advice I've read from other sources, i placed a litter tray with hay in the spot where the accident had happened. Ive kept the tray there just to be safe

Since then he goes and sits in it and poops and pees quite happily while eating his hay.;)
The only problem I've noticed now, is he doesn't use the litter tray in his pen and only sees the living room tray as his main toilet. Ive tried soaking up his urine on a paper towel and putting some of his droppings into the one in his pen, but he takes no notice and doesn't seem to see it as a latrine. So when I'm out at work all day, he basically doesn't poop or pee until i let him out in the evening (i let him out for three hours before i leave for work in the morning, so he gets to use that other tray in the morning but thats it until the evening).

He's eating a drinking just fine and seems healthy in all other aspects. I just don't want any long term health issues of him holding things in.

Im scared to remove the litter tray thats in the living room incase he looks for it and just goes to toilet in the space on the floor instead. Even though he was well potty trained before the christmas day incident, he did tend to favour leaving a few droppings infront of the telly, so thats why i put the tray there.

If anyone has any advice or can advise on where i may be going wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you're worried about removing the tray then I'd try swapping them to see if he'll use that tray in his enclosure...

Then gradually move the one that you've now got in front of the TV toward his enclosure.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ah, yes i never actually thought about gradually edging it back toward his enclosure. I shall begin trying that.
Thank daphnephoebe :)

Tv, dinner, toilet. And you want to take away his pleasure? Seriously, good luck, moving the tray might work, if not then Benji has picked his new spot.

Back