• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit pregnant

RebeccaJC

Warren Scout
I wasn't really sure which thread to post this under but it seems my rabbit might accidentally be pregnant. I've had her 3 years now and she came to me pregnant so I know all the signs. The only time she's ever made a nest was when she was pregnant and this is ongoing 3 years of her being in my care now. How did this happen? I have a male rabbit not yet neutered but he's kept in a separate hutch to my unspayed female with my spayed rabbit. My neighbors were putting my rabbits at risk for a period of time so I brought my rabbits in (under my watch) into kitchen whilst I contacted people to sort it. Straight away my male rabbit went for my unspayed female and I went to separate them straight away but it seems that once was enough to make her pregnant! She'll be due in 8 days (I worked it out last night) and has already started making a nest however I'm bringing her indoors. I didn't want this to happen nevermind in the winter. I'm currently working so can't get the indoor cage until tonight. I know which I'm getting it's quite large and protected. I'm gonna keep it next to radiator. My questions are what else can I do to ensure she makes the correct nest, what advice do people have for what can be used as nesting boxes as I don't feel she has the correct nesting right now.. what materials are best? I'm going shopping tonight to get everything I need and what's best to ensure safety of bun and mum during winter pregnancies? It was an accident and it's been done now. Can't be undone so now my concern is to keep bunnies safe and in adequate nest etc also is it unusual for them to make a nest 8 days early? I think she made 4 days early last time but not quite this early? Just willing to take all advice I can take to keep mum and babies well cause what's happened now can't be undone.

I wasn't really sure which thread to post this under but it seems my rabbit might accidentally be pregnant. I've had her 3 years now and she came to me pregnant so I know all the signs. The only time she's ever made a nest was when she was pregnant and this is ongoing 3 years of her being in my care now. How did this happen? I have a male rabbit not yet neutered but he's kept in a separate hutch to my unspayed female with my spayed rabbit. My neighbors were putting my rabbits at risk for a period of time so I brought my rabbits in (under my watch) into kitchen whilst I contacted people to sort it. Straight away my male rabbit went for my unspayed female and I went to separate them straight away but it seems that once was enough to make her pregnant! She'll be due in 8 days (I worked it out last night) and has already started making a nest however I'm bringing her indoors. I didn't want this to happen nevermind in the winter. I'm currently working so can't get the indoor cage until tonight. I know which I'm getting it's quite large and protected. I'm gonna keep it next to radiator. My questions are what else can I do to ensure she makes the correct nest, what advice do people have for what can be used as nesting boxes as I don't feel she has the correct nesting right now.. what materials are best? I'm going shopping tonight to get everything I need and what's best to ensure safety of bun and mum during winter pregnancies? It was an accident and it's been done now. Can't be undone so now my concern is to keep bunnies safe and in adequate nest etc also is it unusual for them to make a nest 8 days early? I think she made 4 days early last time but not quite this early? Just willing to take all advice I can take to keep mum and babies well cause what's happened now can't be undone.

Oh dear .............

I would not place the indoor cage too close to a radiator as the kits could overheat. The general warmth of an indoor environment will suffice.

This thread would be useful to read:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

I would sort out getting you Buck castrated ASAP so that you wont have any more accidents.

Good luck :)

Hi there Rebecca :wave:

I'm sorry to hear you've got this stress on your hands, especially as you say, in winter. Adorable though baby rabbits are, they are still a handful!

These links may give you a few tips:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

You are doing the right thing by keeping them indoors. Babies outside in this cold don't do so well ...

Good luck with her and the babes :)

If your rabbit has already decided where she is going to have her babies it is not good to move her nest as she could abort the babies or not care for them. You might be lucky and get away with it but you might not. Babies born outside do well as Mum will pull lots of fur out to ensure they stay warm. You can also help by putting lots of good soft hay in there and maybe pieces of material. And make sure the hutch is as sheltered as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you both. I'll not put near radiator I just worry as my flats quite cold. I've checked her nest and no babes yet. Thankfully as need her indoors. I think it'll be a few days yet. Don't worry I rubbed hands on her and dirty hay before touching nest. I just want them safe also don't feel like the nest is good enough so just wanna get everything to help her build a proper nest. as I wasn't expecting it she hasn't had right materials or area to build a proper one. Poor things quite stressed, she probably doesn't feel in right place to give birth so can't wait for work to finish so I can bring her indoors with me

I don't have any experience of rabbit pregnancies thankfully so cant offer any advice sorry, but I remember your last thread was about a pregnant rabbit that was overdue and was at the vets. Is this the same rabbit? I would also get your male booked to be neutered as soon as, it easily just takes the one mating and a very quick one at that for the same thing to happen to yet again! I hope the birth goes well.

Nesting boxes aren't necessary, I don't know any breeders in the UK that use them, only in the US but I think this is because it's common there to keep rabbits on wire floor cages. As Jane said don't put the cage right next to the radiator as they could overheat, I'm sure your flat is still much more comfortable than being outside in the cold :) Indoor cages tend to be open top so be sure to cover it up with a blanket or something to give her more privacy and security.As for the nest, if she's already started building one outside then bring it in, if she wants to make it bigger she'll pluck fur. If she usually eats quite stalky hay I'd probably put in some softer hay for now so she can use that in her nest too. Keep the other bunnies away from her cage and don't invade her space too much, she'll need to feel safe and secure. Personally Id put a bit of soiled bedding in the new cage, put her in there with all her usual toys and food, make sure the cage is well covered and the room quiet and just leave her to it. If she wants to come out and explore that's fine but I wouldn't be trying to pick her up.

I once had a pregnant female who made a nest very early, her previous owner said it was probably a phantom pregnancy due to the earliness but she did have a litter

It is the same rabbit! I kept my male rabbit separate from her so didn't think I needed to worry but then this incident happened with neighbours and he caught her accidentally. I will be looking into neutering after this. She wasn't pregnant last time by the way. Thankfully but she is this time. She showed no signs of pregnancy last time I was just really worried, she didn't nest or anything but this time I know she is as she's nesting like crazy! And I've had her 3 years. I got her pregnant (the last owners gave her to me pregnant so it was a surprise) and she nested then and this is second time she's nested in 3 years I have had her so I know she is definitely pregnant. She had made quite a good nest quite deep in her hutch but I got an indoor cage and swapped her to that. I worked out she should be due in 8 days so i am hoping she'll create a new one in that time. She did try to and got frustrated as it isn't the same as a hutch but hoping she'll figure it out. I have put a litter box in with really high walls as a hopeful nesting box. Given her lots of materials and covered the hutch with a blanket to create darkness. I feel bad taking her from the hutch she created such a good nest in but I had to because its meant to snow and I have a small flat with new carpets, the hutch is too dirty to have indoors so felt I had no choice really but to do what I did just hope she's built a new nest soon. I do feel guilty and hope it doesn't affect her and how her birth goes but as she's still got another 8 days I am hoping its enough time for her to settle. I would much prefer babies indoors though and where I can keep an eye on them. I have put cage away from radiators as I worried after that was mentioned. She has lots of nice material to keep them warm plus she's pulling her own fur out to keep them warm as well. Yeah I have covered the cage with a red throw I had, also put cardboard around 3 sides of it to create the illusion of a hutch as it has bars (though the bars aren't low enough for babies to get out) quite a high rimmed plastic bottom. But I wanted to create the illusion of her hutch. Yeah I had stalky hay in but I have put softer hay in now. I had to pick her up to bring her indoors and she really didn't like it, i was really worried to be honest holding her as it makes me nervous when she's pregnant and she's uncomfortable, her stomach is almost hitting the floor so think we're having a few babies!

Females do often have phantom pregnancies and make nests from that, but in your case she probably is pregnant, when my girl was nearly due her belly wasn't very big but she freaked out if i tried to touch it . Plucking more fur out can't be much fun, can you move her old nest inside so she doesnt have the stress of doing it all over again? Can't wait to see pictures of them :D Just be sure not to use flash, it can damage the baby's eyes

Back