• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ratio males/females

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed there tends to be more females than males get handed in to rescue. Rabbit Rehome runs at roughly 4 females for every 3 males.

Any thoughts on why?

Are litters of babies usually split 50-50 or is it just there are more females to start with?

Tamsin

When I got Evo, I know I chose a boy over a girl, because I knew the neuter op was less risky for a boy than a girl....that's why I got a boy. Maybe people can't be bothered with / don't want to pay for the spay op for girls when they get territorial. I know when I get Evo a girlfriend, it'll be a girlie that's already been spayed, don't think I could go through the worry of putting a loved bun through the operation... I was worried enough with Evo! :lol: :eek:

I think it could be something to do with the fact that Does are so territorial and have hormonal moments :shock: ...people often do not realise how unspayed Does can behave and then do not want to pay out for an operation when it is suggested that it may help things.
This is just one thought, but I am sure other Members will have many more idea. :D

I agree with Adele, I think more people are likely to give up girls when they become moody. Im not sure I believe people would rather give up a bunny than pay for a spay, I think the real picture is more likely they don't know about spaying as they haven't been to a vet or don't have a vet who knows about the benefits of spaying. There's still plenty of them out there. Maybe these are the people who have bought on impulse with out any research then decided to rehome bunny without any research????

Angela

I think its several of the problems with knowing the benefits of spaying. Right up to my rabbit dying noone said that spaying would have helped. I saw several vets with her when she was and wasn't sick - one time I now know was an obvious sign of being all hormonal, nothing about spaying. Also to be honest after having one rabbit go through and op I am more nervous now than I was before, and before I thought it was kinda risky. Because of the protential problems with getting them to eat afterwards. Its also still quite expensive I think. I have had 4 cats spayed, but when I was a kid (15yrs ago) female spaying was counted as being risky and expensive, now its not.

I think the problem with rabbits is no different to any other animals, people don't think about getting them, no research, no thought that the kids will not clean them out each day. Hey I can still remember how shocked my parents were when the 3 mice turned into a dozen overnight!

i hadnt the slightest interest in rabbits before i adopted Brad. It was chance I got a boy but I had heard alot about aggressive females, then I went and got a girl on purpose for the sake of Brad who was indeed aggressive. The rumours were true in my case, maybe the girl bunnies are just easier to dump because they can be territorial and stuff?

whats the actual ratio when they have a litter? Maybe its just a natural tendency to have more females?

My first choice would be a buck.

From my own experience they are friendly and yes they are easier and cheaper to neuter.

I love Blueberry to bits though and I am prepared for the teenage years! (going to co-incide with my son though :lol: )

Blueberry is more affectionate with my other half though and Hoppy my buck wouldn't go near him, but loved me :love: Is that usual?

We find that it goes in fit and starts. As to whether they are male or female.
I think over the course of the year it is probably fairley even.

I think people tend to go for the boys as they are supposed to be calmer and friendlier even when not neutered, although you obviously get the issue with spraying etc. I find it is harder to get people to neuter their females than it is to get them to neuter their males, most of the bunnies that come in to boarding the males are done, but the females aren't, the reason I am given is cost and risk....obviously I explain the facts to them, but they are still reluctant.

I think if the ratio is higher in females, it is down to them being uneutered and hormonal, and becoming a bit of handful and the owners not realising that neutering will calm this down.

annie

Another factor may be that people tend to keep more doe's then buck's.

For Example:

A breeder may have 10 doe's and only 2 buck's.

So when the unexpected does strike all them bun's have to find home's there's going to be a lot more doe's then buck's looking for home's.

Louise

If someone wanted a pet rabbit i would always recamend a buck on the whole they make better pets. As for rabbits coming in to rescue i have runs of all boys coming in and then another time all girls. Unfriendly rabbits coming in are normally girls. val

males/female ratio.

Hi val....I have found that once castrated males get along very well together, it,s the girls that tend to be naughty & get a bit nippy with each other (typical bitchy woman) love from shan & the furry people.

Female rabbits can be more aggressive then males. I kept a lot of un sprayed females and they did tend to claw at you. Back then, getting your rabbits done wasn't a big issue, and wasn’t heard of, and I think it’s the same today. Plus a lot of people are not going to pay money to get their rabbit done. Parents will buy a bunny for their kids. As wrong as I think it is – that’s what happens.

Adele said:
I think it could be something to do with the fact that Does are so territorial and have hormonal moments :shock: ...people often do not realise how unspayed Does can behave and then do not want to pay out for an operation when it is suggested that it may help things.
This is just one thought, but I am sure other Members will have many more idea. :D

I think that Adele makes a very good point.

The ratio bucks/does handed in for rehoming does not neceserrily reflect the ratio as found in the nest. Clearly many other factors contribute twards this as others have mentioned.

hi louise,
u sed breeders usually have about 10 does and 2 bucks

thats not always the case or example someone who breeds mini lop, dwarf lops, nethies ect there usually keep more bucks as they make better show rabbits cause they usually have broader Shoulders, wider heads and more musceld cheeks.
also when breeding u dont want then to be too closley related as that causes probs so it is good to have a variaty of buck on hand. Another thing with buck is tha they mature quicker and can breed them for longer in some cases as does retire at about 3yrs
but in some cases it is true they do have more does than bucks cause i have more does but i dont breed that often and this leaves a doe more time to recover but i only have about 2 does at any one time with litters

Back