• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for spending money....

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you lot might like to help with the very fun task I have of spending money :D

Some of you probably know that I get some money through the advertising that companies do on Rabbit Rehome. I'm expecting some cheques in soon and that means I will have some money to spend on welfare/rescue rabbits.

Last time I ordered 200 rabbit toys to go to rescues centres.

I'm sure between you guys we can come up with some good ideas for what to do ith the next lot. So thinking caps on please....

Thanks,
Tamsin

Tamsin said:
Some of you probably know that I get some money through the advertising that companies do on Rabbit Rehome. I'm expecting some cheques in soon and that means I will have some money to spend on welfare/rescue rabbits.

Thanks,
Tamsin
I get the impression that sounds like a chore to you Tamsin :lol: Come on it's spending money on bunnies, it's fun.
Rescues whats the most helpful thing for you after toys???? Litter trays, cleaning products, grooming equipment or um something more fun??

Angela

Litter trays, disinfectant and a litter tray TRAINING MANUEL or Rabbit whisperer extraordinaire :lol: :lol:

CARROT is pretty much ok for most things. What if we could maybe get some leaflets printed and persuade 'pet shops' to hand them out, or maybe buy some from the RWA (I think it's £5 per hundred) and send them out to 'pet shops'. Just a thought, and that way maybe we could spread the word! A bit vague, sorry! :oops:

Thats not a bad idea Lynda, maybe we could give a pack out to petshops (or similar) with some RWA leaflets and copies of the RR posters. We'd have to talk to them first as there is no point doing it if the individual petshop isn't interested in working with us.

Tam

Obviously I don't know how much money you have to spend, but how many spays/neuters would it pay for?

Alternatively, some could be put aside for a genuine emergency, a "Rescue Fund" to help rabbit/s in need or deserving people who have been saddled with huge vets bills to save their beloved bun, or simply to help out a good owner in financial difficulty who would otherwise have to send a rabbit into rescue.

I like the idea of keeping rabbits out of Rescue if at all possible... there must be cases where it's only the matter of a little money, and that could keep a shelter place open for a case of real need.

Or to prevent suffering, for example... someone with a couple of rabbits where one has gone down with myxi, some money could be diverted to get them vaccinated & safely away for a while until the crisis has passed.

That's not to say education isn't also a worthy cause; but I feel maybe some people might prefer to see the money be spent on individual rabbits so we can all share the stories, or to directly benefit them, as was done with the toys.

*shrugs* Just my 2p worth!

Some of the money is commission so I don't have an exact count yet, about £100 is probably a good guess. With luck I should be able to do something every coouple of months so if we pick one idea this time we can always do another next time or the money can be split to do more than one thing.

Neutering is a good idea, it would be nice if the bun could write his/her story then for rabbit rehome, it might encourage more people to think about neutering if they knew what to expect.

Tam

With winter just around the corner. How about suppling rescues with rolls of felt for repairs or finding them some strong plastic sheeting for covering hutches.
Hay and woodshavings are always my biggest outgoings, followed by litter trays, toys, bottle brushes.
Just a few ideas from my point of view although I do like the idea of an emergency fund.
Especially as for the last two years we have been involved with new year rescues, and things are always tight at that time of year.

I like Lynda's idea best.

It would do more good long term educating Pet Shop's etc.

I would be more then willng to help with this.

Louise

Hiya
I think Sue's idea is a good one, and Lynda's. I have just recieved a load of leaflets, posters, car stickers from the RWA/RWF, as an Outreach Officer for them, the plan is to do as many information stalls as possible in the South as well as one Rabbit Awareness Evening in November. This I am doing jointly with Jules who is on this forum too. Pets At Home have already agreed to one this October, if anyone cares to come along.... :D

I think getting the Pet shops well educated is a really worthy task.

annie

Whilst I like the idea of an emergency fund pet owners can tap into I'm worried that it would take much more cash than RR raises to work. One set of vet bills could eat it up in no time :( and I wouldn't like to have to keep turning people away.

I do think something that people can see directly helps bunnies is a good idea though. Buying in bulk and then spreading between several rescues seems a good way to get the most out of the money.

I also like the petshop idea, the cash could pay for leaflets/posters and then volunteers could take them into their local petshop in there area and have a chat with the owner and maybe go back later and get some feedback.

Which Pets@home branch is that Annie? I'm sure there are some forum members that could pop in and support you. If you let me know a date I'll put a note up on RR too :D

Tamsin

Hello Tamsin, its the one in Andover, that would be wonderful thank you is there any RR info you could send us to display too?

Annie

Now thats an idea... :idea: I have some very crude ones for my boarding which I made myself, well they're okay... :shock: but useful to give to people who you may just get chatting to in passing

Thanks for the link to the printers, that sounds like a very good deal.

Right the cheque is in the post so if there are volunteers that will go to their local petshop (the small ones rather than big chains, I don't think we can supply enough leaflets for somewhere as big as P@H!) and ask if they would like some information to put up/hand out then I will pay for it and send it out to you to take to them.

I'll also be spending some cash on something to go directly to the rescues/rabbits but I haven't decided what yet :D

Tam

I thought that Lyndas idea about the RWA leaflets was brilliant. Perhaps people of this group could help by distributing them locally at pet shops/vets/schools. I would be happy to do that. Perhaps people could write to RR with a strong SAE envelope and the appropriate postage so that TAMS could post so many of each to anyone that wanted to help?

Just a thought? I would be up for it

That way the RWA would benefit as they will be getting revenue from thier leaflets and possibly gaining new members, shops would get a free education resource to give out and it would help educate potential rabbit owners.

Thanks for offering your help Bob :D Once there are a few volunteers (come on people ;) ) then I'll work out how many leaflets to order.

Tam

Back