• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking

Claire

Young Bun
:wave: Hi

I think my bunny loves me !! :love:. Ever since I got Ben just over a year ago, I've got him in a routine of having a cuddle with me every evening around 9.30 pm. We sit on the sofa and watch a bit of telly together and generally have a chat/cuddle/bonding session. To begin with I was lucky if I got 10 mins worth of cuddles but we are now up to 2 hrs :D (only when he feels like it mind).

Over the weekend during our usual cuddle session Ben started to lick my hand and arm..... would I be right in thinking this is his way of returning the affection ? as he's done it every night since. :bunny:

Pictures to follow shortly I promise.

Claire

sounds like Ben is joining in the mutual grooming session.... :lol: sign of affection, it has been thought that it is because they like the salty taste on the skin, but, stronger evidence shows that it is a sign of affection, your grooming him, so he's grooming you, like a bonded pair will mutually groom.

annie

It sure is :) Can you hear lightly gritting of the teeth too :?: This is = to a cat purring :)

What a honor.

I can see your going to have many a happy night.

bronie

Definately love :love:

It must be lovely to know that you have built such love and trust over the last year.

I'm glad you raised this point as I always thought my buns Mr Bump licked me as he was licking the salt off me! It's nice to know it's because he cares :D

Although I must say since we've got Tigs I only get the occasional lick nowadays! :(

bunnymad said:
It sure is :) Can you hear lightly gritting of the teeth too :?: This is = to a cat purring :)

What a honor.

I can see your going to have many a happy night.

bronie

Oooo I see, Ben makes a grinding sound every evening specially when I stroke him under his ears or on his nose. :wink: aawww I feel really happy now :D

Floyd has licked me from a few days after I brought him home.... and what a licker he is! He never stops!

I don't know if he is a naturally affectionate bunny, or if I started it off - I read a rabbit language website just after I got him, and offered my hand on the floor "demanding to be groomed". He did! and it brought tears to my eyes.

Perhaps that was the key - instead of being a big dumb two-leg, he may have been surprised that I speak a little Lapine, and decided I am just a strangely shaped tall rabbit!

Often he will "lick by proxy" - licking my bed sheets, carpet (only in the bedroom, which he considers our sleeping burrow) which I take to be a remote sign of affection and respect.

He will also wake me sometimes in the morning by jumping on the bed and washing my face thoroughly - lick, lick, lick, lick (that's the chin done!); lick, lick, lick, lick (nice clean nose now!); lick, lick, lick, lick (forehead - aha! It's worked! She's getting up!). Indeed I am - it's the only way to stop him before I burst out laughing and scare him off!

Salt??? No way!! The only thing he's never licked, is his salt lick!

licky.jpg

(Can you see his tongue?)

bedtime.jpg

All that licking has tired me out! I've got tongue-ache!
It's a hard life, being a Floyd!

Awwwww, my Smokey and Daisy were both intense lickers, it was almost a project with them :lol: Oh my, how I miss them :cry: I wonder if I'll ever get another licky bun..........

wow!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

like yourself me and Mubby have evening cuddles on the sofa ( usually while eastenders and corrie are on :wink: lol)

and we have been doing this for the past 4 weeks ive had him...

and last week he started licking me... he licks my chest/neck (as im usally in pjs after my shower at this time!!lol :oops: :lol: )

and he licks my neck and snuggles under my chin :D

and he licks my arm..my hand...my leg lol

its very funny and tickly :lol:

mubby grooming me !
strawhair.jpg

kiss1.jpg

Mubby loves you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbit love is different to dog-love or cat-love.... they only do it if they really think you are worth it!

That's why they are such special animals - they are not obeying pack hierarchy instincts (suck up to the boss) or hoping to keep you giving food (like cats). Have you noticed they do it even if they aren't hungry? They don't have conditions! They just love you.

Back