• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it time?

lisaam

Young Bun
Ive been on here a few times re my rabbit patch. I had him at the vet last night to get a small lump checked out. It was just a growth and no action required but the vet was pretty frank in that he thinks I should put him down. He as I see him every day I might not notice but to the vet he looks terrible.

Patch is 10 years old at least. He has suffered head tilt and complete blindness for about 2 years now. He has lost a lot of weight steadily over the past 2 years. Somehow through all this he survived an op, had eye infections which heal with meds no problem and a few other skin issues.

I noticed the other night it seems that due to the head tilt he has lost function of a back leg. Its a lot thinner and limp than the other and its the side he just drags around when circling.

Ive not painted a good picture here he sounds awful but i'm always torn with if i should put him down or not? To me he still reacts if i enter a room, if i stroke his nose or pet him, he gets excited when he hears food but yes is very fussy and doesnt eat nuggets anymore. He drinks plenty and does still eat greens, hay etc. He barely moves in a circle now but he does still try clean himself to certain extent. He can lie down or sit up also.

I'm torn... he doesnt have a good quality of life but I don't understand how he has survived all these problems no one does at this age etc. I have always wanted him to go off his own accord but am I making him suffer, should I make the decision to let him go?

I can't bare it but i'll need to find the strength to do it if its for the best.

People's views vary. Only you can decide. I had three of mine pts together last year - one was less 'ill' than the others but would have been so lonely without them. She was blind and wouldn't have known where everyone had gone.
Its an awful decision to have to make. You will be upset, even if you decide, rationally, that it is for the best.

As happybun has just said, only you can decide, but I think, if it were me, going off what you have said, I would let him go. He doesn't eat pellets maybe because he has teeth problems which could be causing him pain on top of the other conditions.

I'm so sorry you are faced with this situation. But as you have said it doesn't sound like he has a very good quality of life now. It's very sad, maybe take a little time to come to a decision x

This is a very hard decision and one which really only you can make. That of course makes it hard.

Whilst his mobility does not sound great, other aspects of his life sound resonably OK. From what you have said he does not seem to be in pain and is taking an interest in life. I would also want to be sure that he was not depressed with his life as it is. It seems you are questioning your judgement because of the comments from your vet.

Perhaps have a look through some old threads on here of people who have had disabled rabbits and how they have coped.

Sending hugs with whatever you decide.

Back