• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip is gone...my fault

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I don't dare ask, what else could go wrong? God takes that as a personal challenge. :roll:

Pip appears to be in stasis this evening. (Or early morning here, I'm late getting the bubs cleaned up again.)

She's been going through a rough moult. This morning she seemed fine. Tonight she is all drawn up and I heard some odd gurgles coming from her so gave her some simethicone and just got some critical care into her. But she's got hooded eyelids and doesn't want to move about much. She is hanging out near Mimzy's enclosure right now. Wants to be near the ex-husbun. :love:

Really worried as I've been sick as hell for over a week. Bad flu. It's about 29 degrees F here tonight and that means the rainy roads will be slick with ice tomorrow. Only vet open to see her will be in the town over, 25 miles from here on a bad, windy road. I've not slept worth a darn for days (never mind months) and a long emergency trip and it's fees (especially after Jenna's issues earlier) will total me. God, this is not what I need right now...neither does Pip. :cry:

Can I please have vibes that whatever is ailing her passes quickly and she's back to herself in the morning? I really don't want to have to take her in. My guess is, since we ran out of their usual hay and she's been swallowing a lot of fur, despite grooming her, she got something moving through or something in the different hay I've fed them has disagreed with her. She has a palpable tum, but it seems like it's empty. Not possible as I've seen her eating. So she's probably got fur in there and it's slowed everything down. Poor bub.

Really don't want to think of losing her to something stupid like this. :( I've tried so hard to keep them from getting ill here. It would figure that I've :censored: it up again. :evil:

Many thanks in advance for reading, sorry to rant. Just at the end of my tether and worried sick. :(

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry to read this about Pip. It does sound like the fur that's causing the problem. I hope you can manage to rally her round so that you don't need to trek to the vets again. Sending her and you lots of vibes for a speedy recovery. Please be careful if you do have to drive.

I don't dare ask, what else could go wrong? God takes that as a personal challenge. :roll:

Pip appears to be in stasis this evening. (Or early morning here, I'm late getting the bubs cleaned up again.)

She's been going through a rough moult. This morning she seemed fine. Tonight she is all drawn up and I heard some odd gurgles coming from her so gave her some simethicone and just got some critical care into her. But she's got hooded eyelids and doesn't want to move about much. She is hanging out near Mimzy's enclosure right now. Wants to be near the ex-husbun. :love:

Really worried as I've been sick as hell for over a week. Bad flu. It's about 29 degrees F here tonight and that means the rainy roads will be slick with ice tomorrow. Only vet open to see her will be in the town over, 25 miles from here on a bad, windy road. I've not slept worth a darn for days (never mind months) and a long emergency trip and it's fees (especially after Jenna's issues earlier) will total me. God, this is not what I need right now...neither does Pip. :cry:

Can I please have vibes that whatever is ailing her passes quickly and she's back to herself in the morning? I really don't want to have to take her in. My guess is, since we ran out of their usual hay and she's been swallowing a lot of fur, despite grooming her, she got something moving through or something in the different hay I've fed them has disagreed with her. She has a palpable tum, but it seems like it's empty. Not possible as I've seen her eating. So she's probably got fur in there and it's slowed everything down. Poor bub.

Really don't want to think of losing her to something stupid like this. :( I've tried so hard to keep them from getting ill here. It would figure that I've :censored: it up again. :evil:

Many thanks in advance for reading, sorry to rant. Just at the end of my tether and worried sick. :(

OH NO!!

Sending best vibes that she's back to herself very soon. An emergency trip and the fees is an awful thought with the road conditions being so dangerous to drive in ...

Love and hugs xx

Oh no, MimzMum! What a stress for you! I really hope Pip picks up soon.

It's bad enough having the stress of ill pets, without the worry about how to get to the vet and how to pay for it. I am thinking of you all.

Thanks all. Just got done cleaning everyone out, minus taking care of Mimzy's leg tonight as he and Pip were close enough to one another he thought perhaps he'd have a go at some...ahem...liberties, shall we say? :roll:
Nice to know that, "Not tonight dear, I have a tummyache," goes over as well as any other reason to abstain! :?

Anyway, she has had another dose of simethicone and I've gotten a bit more CC into her, but she's dribbling most of it now and seems withdrawn. I've seen her do this before. It's probably going to take sub q's and possible admission to get her going again. Really hope not.

Thanks awfully for all the vibes, I do hope RU can still work it's magic!
5 am here...not seeing my pillow anytime soon. :(

If you can get some fluids into her that should help. I am sorry that she is feeling poorly and that you have yet more stress and anxiety to contend with. Will PM you now xx

Thanks all. Just got done cleaning everyone out, minus taking care of Mimzy's leg tonight as he and Pip were close enough to one another he thought perhaps he'd have a go at some...ahem...liberties, shall we say? :roll:
Nice to know that, "Not tonight dear, I have a tummyache," goes over as well as any other reason to abstain! :?

Anyway, she has had another dose of simethicone and I've gotten a bit more CC into her, but she's dribbling most of it now and seems withdrawn. I've seen her do this before. It's probably going to take sub q's and possible admission to get her going again. Really hope not.

Thanks awfully for all the vibes, I do hope RU can still work it's magic!
5 am here...not seeing my pillow anytime soon. :(

I really hope you don't have to admit. Are tummy rubs making any difference?

Sending vibes xx

I've just left her for now. I keep thinking I hear her trying to eat and then I turn on the light and she's quiet, so I hope that's not just tooth grinding I'm catching. :( She has a snugglesafe to cuddle up to as she felt a bit cool to me, but she's sitting in her litterbox, the usual place I find her when she's hurting. :(

I've been pestering her with syringe feeds and trying to get her moving for over three hours, I figure I should give her a bit of a break, I'm probably stressing her more. :(
I'll let her rest for a bit and then try syringing in some water, but I only have the wee dosing syringes, nothing I can really use to administer a decent amount of fluid. :? All my good bunny 9-1-1 stuff is still frozen in Alaska. :evil:
Thank you for the vibes, MM. :) xxxx
Jane, thank you for your pm. I'll try to answer it when I've had a bit of kip. :) xxxx

I've just left her for now. I keep thinking I hear her trying to eat and then I turn on the light and she's quiet, so I hope that's not just tooth grinding I'm catching. :( She has a snugglesafe to cuddle up to as she felt a bit cool to me, but she's sitting in her litterbox, the usual place I find her when she's hurting. :(

I've been pestering her with syringe feeds and trying to get her moving for over three hours, I figure I should give her a bit of a break, I'm probably stressing her more. :(
I'll let her rest for a bit and then try syringing in some water, but I only have the wee dosing syringes, nothing I can really use to administer a decent amount of fluid. :? All my good bunny 9-1-1 stuff is still frozen in Alaska. :evil:
Thank you for the vibes, MM. :) xxxx
Jane, thank you for your pm. I'll try to answer it when I've had a bit of kip. :) xxxx

No hurry, you must get some rest yourself xx

I'm so very sorry :cry:. But you did NOT kill her. Please don't think that. You did what you could in difficult circumstances and sometimes life sucks. Please look after yourself - thinking of you xx

I'm so sorry Pip has gone. You're such a doting mum to your furries, please be kind to yourself xx

You don't understand. I was syringe feeding her and giving her water. I picked her up and cradled her and was jiggling her a bit trying to get things to move in her stomach. She started looking even more lethargic and then when I put her down started lifting her nose to breathe. Then she began scrambling around the floor. I tried using the bunny Heimlich but it didn't seem to be working, she was trying to spit out fluid but she was flailing all over, I thought I was hurting her. I tried calling the local vet but she's off today. I then called the vet we're with and while I was talking to them she began rolling and I think she seized up...I picked her up but she went all floppy and then she was gone. :cry:

I drowned her. I thought I was so slick, doing the whole thing right and I choked her to death trying to get her to eat. I should've just taken her in to the vet in town instead of screwing around. It's all my fault and now my poor daughter is distraught. I'm in bits and somehow I have to drive her down there so they can send her for cremation. I didn't even want to walk Jenna, what if I do something to hurt her next? Poor Pip. Sweet gentle soul, who never did me any harm and I murdered her! :cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry. I know the British don't delve into huge displays of emotion or say stuff like this, but I am furious with myself and dammit, I know better! What the hell was I thinking? I've ruined everything.

Absolutely destroyed. She should still be alive. I killed her. No other way to look at it.

You don't understand. I was syringe feeding her and giving her water. I picked her up and cradled her and was jiggling her a bit trying to get things to move in her stomach. She started looking even more lethargic and then when I put her down started lifting her nose to breathe. Then she began scrambling around the floor. I tried using the bunny Heimlich but it didn't seem to be working, she was trying to spit out fluid but she was flailing all over, I thought I was hurting her. I tried calling the local vet but she's off today. I then called the vet we're with and while I was talking to them she began rolling and I think she seized up...I picked her up but she went all floppy and then she was gone. :cry:

I drowned her. I thought I was so slick, doing the whole thing right and I choked her to death trying to get her to eat. I should've just taken her in to the vet in town instead of screwing around. It's all my fault and now my poor daughter is distraught. I'm in bits and somehow I have to drive her down there so they can send her for cremation. I didn't even want to walk Jenna, what if I do something to hurt her next? Poor Pip. Sweet gentle soul, who never did me any harm and I murdered her! :cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry. I know the British don't delve into huge displays of emotion or say stuff like this, but I am furious with myself and dammit, I know better! What the hell was I thinking? I've ruined everything.

Absolutely destroyed. She should still be alive. I killed her. No other way to look at it.

I wont tell you not to feel as you are feeling but please read the following.

I had a Rabbit called Beatrice who had a litter of 8 kits. One of them was Jack ( of Jack's-Jane...........) When the kits were about 4 weeks old and out and about in their enclosure I was in with them and I went to move a large log to another area. As I picked up the log I stumbled and I dropped the log. It landed directly on top of one of the kits. The result was inevitable. I killed a 4 week old Rabbit.

M whether Pip aspirated the water or whether she actually already had a lung problem I dont know.Acute pneumonia can initially present with anorexia and lethargy before rapidly progressing to respiratory distress. If she did aspirate the water it was an accident. I know that it makes no difference to how you feel. No matter how many times I tell myself that me dropping the log was an accident I can NEVER stop feeling guilty. Neither of us are cruel people M, but we are both human and every human can make a mistake or have an accident.

I realise that you are not only feeling wretched yourself but that you are no doubt in despair about C.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))

J xx

Thank you Jane. I know, I have had more than a few people tell me already over here that it wasn't my fault but as you know, that is hollow succor. :(
I have been told to place her in a bag and put her in the freezer till I can take her down for the pickup to the crem, which unfortunately I will miss today. She would be there a week but I can't keep her here. :(

I am sorry about your little bunny too, Jane. I have seen you retell this story before. Plus I remember other members who do not post here anymore talking about when they feel they have done something to harm their rabbits. But I know that I am supposed to be careful when going about syringe feeding. My confidence is the least important here but rest assured it has taken a beating and I don't know that there is anything I feel I can do about anything at this point. With everything that has gone wrong in my life in the last year or more, this was just one more thing I didn't need coming. I expected maybe Mimzy (in fact if he continues as he is, he may join Pip soon as well) or even Fiver, but not Pip. I thought I'd be taking her back to Alaska with me and Jenna should I decide to return there. :( Griff is not long for this world either. It's all coming down.

C is completely lost right now. I wouldn't blame her for feeling like I am a pariah. I know I do.

I need to go and take care of Pip right now. Should I let Mimz and Fiver see her? Would it distress them? They weren't technically bonded but they lived near each other. She died right next to them. Should they view her body for a bit? (I'm afraid changes are already taking place. :( )

I don't know how to get through this day. Not like I have a choice.

Back