• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Long worm like poop! PLEASE HELP!!

Umandu

New Kit
My bunny was and still is acting fairly normal but when she went to use the litter box I just noticed a strong smell of poop. I expected to see diarrhea or something similar, but instead hanging off her tunnel (not in her litter box at all) was this worm like poop!
If I look closely I don't think it's a worm, it looks like it's got like a sausage lining around really wet runny poop. There is definitely some kind of lining which makes me wonder did she poop out something intestinal that she wasn't suppose to? I've seen her have funny poops but nothing like this. What could this be??
9b0a154c06f93ec5163863eea23053b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never experienced bunny worms or poops looking like that but it's certainly not normal. I'd be more inclined to say worm because of the sheer length of it, I'd of thought poo would just break apart. Have you tried cutting in to it? I'd definitely keep the mystery sample and take it to the vets for identification

I've never experienced bunny worms or poops looking like that but it's certainly not normal. I'd be more inclined to say worm because of the sheer length of it, I'd of thought poo would just break apart. Have you tried cutting in to it? I'd definitely keep the mystery sample and take it to the vets for identification

I have tried cutting into it yet, but I did notice more it hanging from her bum. I picked her up to clean it the rest of it off of her and it just broke away like...sausage lining. She's still pretty active and eating at the moment. I'll be keeping the sample to show the vet, just wanted to get an idea of what it was or if anyone else had this experience.

I've never seen anything like that! Is she acting ok in herself? Eating ok? Any weightloss? It just looks like it has to be a worm but I guess you'll have to ask your vet!

Could she have ingested string or something like that ?

I'd cut the 'specimen' in half and see what it looks like within. I'd also consult your Vet today xx

Could she have ingested string or something like that ?

I'd cut the 'specimen' in half and see what it looks like within. I'd also consult your Vet today xx

I have a vet appointment set up, but I did cut it up to see what was in side. Just as I thought it was literally just a "sausage casing" with very mushy poop inside, wasn't a worm just some weird lining(very thin, see through) with runny poop.

I have a vet appointment set up, but I did cut it up to see what was in side. Just as I thought it was literally just a "sausage casing" with very mushy poop inside, wasn't a worm just some weird lining(very thin, see through) with runny poop.

Seems there is some inflammation going on in her GI tract then. I hope all goes well at the Vets x

My bunny was and still is acting fairly normal but when she went to use the litter box I just noticed a strong smell of poop. I expected to see diarrhea or something similar, but instead hanging off her tunnel (not in her litter box at all) was this worm like poop!
If I look closely I don't think it's a worm, it looks like it's got like a sausage lining around really wet runny poop. There is definitely some kind of lining which makes me wonder did she poop out something intestinal that she wasn't suppose to? I've seen her have funny poops but nothing like this. What could this be??
9b0a154c06f93ec5163863eea23053b7.jpg

It looks to me like a long stretched out cecotrope. Possibly some gut inflammation going on (though you'd usually get mucous as well) so I'm glad you're seeing the vet.

I presume you'll take the long worm in a clear plastic bag to show him?

Back