• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

second rabbit - how much extra space is required

AmberUK

Alpha Buck
We have a neutered male who I want to bond with another rabbit (this was always my intention but my housemate was very against it untill a few days back) with him. I have him currently in a double layer 4foot run (ie 2x4foot) and he sleeps there but is out each day and when not in the garden he has a indoor area. The problem is not the run areas, its if the indoor/sleep run with be enough? I just cannot afford to get him bonded and then end up with lack of space. If there is any 'bunnie trauma' its my fault apparently, so I am kinda hoping to not have problems with this!

any advice is much apprecieted
amber

Give as much space as poss. Having to rabbits in the garden and exercising during the day and having them in a double 2x4 sounds fine to me.

Another question from this one ;-)
If they are out all day on grass/clover do you take part of their veggies away? Ie do you feed them less?

I have 3 bunnies in a shed, if they are out all day I tend to give them a bit less as I feel they don't need as much especially if they are munching leaves etc. I maybe offer them a carrot each or something like that.

I still put their hay in they box and give them some dry food in the evening.

I have made more room in Bugzees (when I got Shadow) indoor home by adding a towel which is pegged to the wire to make more room. Look at my pics to see how I have done it. maybe you could add space like have or along these lines.

I have my bunnies outside in their hutch some days and I sometimes give them grass inside. I still give them other veggies. They also about 3 times a week get some fruit as a treat.

bronie

Hi Amber, sorry to be a bit dim, but can you clarify the run and sleep area size ie. size of run area, and size of sleep area as independent measurements? What size bunny is the boy that you have now, as this will obviously directly affect the size of the accomodation when adding another.

If they are on grass all day, I wouldn't provide too many vegetables, fresh grass being their natural diet and containing plenty of valuable nutrients.

Have you had any luck in finding a young lady yet?

annie

Outdoors:
6x3foot on grass/clover (bad lawn) area. Within that 6x3foot 'caged' area there is a small 2x4foot piggie covered compound. Of the compound 1x4foot of it is off the grass (and is counted as being a bedded area)

Indoors:
2layer x4foot hutch - this is the place he sleeps in but its actually only covered in about 1 foot of the 4 foor length ie not very much. Its tall enough on the bottom layer to stand on his hind legs and is about 16inches deep. On one of my lazy days (untill the cats want to get in for food) he has access to all of the room (6x8foot) that the hutch stands in when hes not outside. But when I have to have the room open (plus its not fair on the cats - its their room too!) I have 2x3foot extension added to the hutch, this is going to be changed before Winter and will be approx 12square foot of space. (I am basically using those green puppy cage things that are in pets at home/offa rabbits site/ebay. I am changing these as when you knock them they make a noise and upset Wilson.)

I am not sure about his weight but hes about 10inches long a pic is at http://www.buffins.net/wilson.htm if thats any help. I would say hes a small bunnie but I am only going on my previous rabbit who seemed bigger (but I don't know her type either).

I am thinking that the sleeping area might be a problem, esp as I have had to put two litter trays in the bottom hutch layer as he keeps weeing in the night in the opposite end to the litter tray and it dribbles on the floor!

I haven't got a pair for him yet, but I am going to look Rolo tonight (posted by Julia) but the fact hes not neutered and a second run is not an option (to give the space I would wish to two rabbits seperatley would need extra rooms in this house!) bonding is the only way to go.

What does everyone think of these as minimum sizes for small to medium breeds (anything smaller than a Rex)?

Adults: 0.56 square metres (6 square feet)
Mother and litter: 0.74 square metres (8 square feet)
[These are from The Rabbitlopedia, by Meg Brown]

Obviously, larger would be better if possible - and for bigger breeds, much larger.... these are minimum sizes.

They sound good sizes, but do two rabbits = double the size? I am not ness sure they do, maybe I am wrong here. I think you need more space sure, but how much more?

I think it depends, if thats the only accomodation then 6 square feet (which is a 3'x2' hutch in effect, is too small. If thats just the bed and its attached to a big run then its ok.

I don't think two rabbits necessarily means double the space. If you have good size accomodation for one medium rabbit then there is probably room for a second one.

A two storey 4' hutch and daily exersise out side sounds ok to me. Make sure the bunny you choose can also stand up on its back legs in the hutch.

Tam

If they are coming out each day is the height of the hutch that importent?

Its scary when we looked for hutches the choice they had in the shops (and I looked at mant places and online) was much better than 3 years ago when we first looked (we ended up making one then) but still some were very scarely small esp with the list of what they said was suitable to live in there! Mind you nothing was as scarey as the bill after the 3 sets of puppy cages and two hutches!

Back