• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

he/she!!

nicola

Young Bun
I took a new bunny we have to be castrated today only to discover he is a she!!.One of my neighbours didnt want her bunny anymore and was going to have it put to sleep so we took it.She was sure he was a boy and on looking i thought so too!!! :?

I have a feeling Mubby is a Girl too soemtimes !Lol i have nothing to base this on!! and ive been told hes male when i bought him! lol but sometimes he does female things! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once they reach 14-16 weeks and the bits decend its a bit easier to tell. Switches sexs seems a very common bunny trait though :lol:

When they are babies, its hard to tell the sex unless you know what to look for! But easier when they get older as the boys bits drop. Heres a funny story when I got Shadow to prove this point!! :oops:

When I got Bugzee I took her to a couple of breeders to tell me what she was. I was also told its hard to tell the sex for a bunny.

So when I got Shadow (he`s an adult bunny), I took him to the pound to get him sexed. WELLS, as soon as she turned him over :shock: you could see he was a male VERY clearly :!: :oops: Didn`t I feel a fool :!: They for got to say when they are older, you can see a male is a male!!

So when I did have Bugzee and Shadow together it was under a very watchful eye. Needless to say a few times Shadow got to bugzee BUT he was on her head :lol: :!:

But alls is well now and they are a happy couple as hes been fixed.

bronie[/list]

I bought Poppy as a girl when 'she' was 8 weeks. I checked - so did the staff, and we were sure she was a girl.

When she was about 11 weeks I checked again - still a girl. Then at 14 weeks she was a he!!!!

Now 6 months on - definitley a boy!!!! :lol:

He still does all the 'girly' things that only my girls have done i.e. rubbing chins on objects etc.

xxx

When I got my first rabbit, Hoppy he was a she for 6 months until "she" came into contact with a baby doe. Then she was very apparently a he! :oops:
Fortunatly hoppy was already booked in for his op, but had to explain to the vet that she was now a he!! Didn't cost me so much though!
Only then it took ages to get used to saying he/good boy instead of she, lucky he had a unisex name.

i think for many sexing bunnys is hard until much older after 3 monmths give there bits a slight push and its clear as day :D
otherwise go buy the bunny from pets at home if its a buck you want by a doe from them and bobs your uncle your have a buck!
they have to be the worst pet shop for getting it right ever!

Back