• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess

Jade_J

Young Bun
Hi,

Our bunny Simba had an abcess on the top of his head. I took him to the vets and he had it drained and we were given antibiotics to give at home once a day and told to clean it twice a day. We had a follow up appointment a few days later it was drained again and we were told the same. Today we had another follow up appointment and were told there is no longer any pus so we aren't to let the open wound heal and clean the outside. However, there is still a lump so she has given us an antiinflamtory and told us if the lump hasn't gone down by the weekend he will need to be booked in for surgery. I think she tried to open the lump but couldn't as it was very hard.

I'm just a little confused, is the lump connected to the abscess? Could it be cancer? Is this normal procedure? My partner took Simba to the vets today so I couldn't ask the vet.

Maybe the vet thinks that if the lump is just a bit of inflammation it will have disappeared by the weekend, and if it's the abscess coming back it will still be there and will need to be cut out under surgery.
You should be able to phone the vet and get reception to ask the vet for you, or even speak to the vet over the phone.
Hope it all goes well for you, my bridge bun used to get abscesses but after being removed they wouldn't return. Medicinal level manuka honey was good for the wound, perhaps ask your vet about that too.

Hi,

Our bunny Simba had an abcess on the top of his head. I took him to the vets and he had it drained and we were given antibiotics to give at home once a day and told to clean it twice a day. We had a follow up appointment a few days later it was drained again and we were told the same. Today we had another follow up appointment and were told there is no longer any pus so we aren't to let the open wound heal and clean the outside. However, there is still a lump so she has given us an antiinflamtory and told us if the lump hasn't gone down by the weekend he will need to be booked in for surgery. I think she tried to open the lump but couldn't as it was very hard.

I'm just a little confused, is the lump connected to the abscess? Could it be cancer? Is this normal procedure? My partner took Simba to the vets today so I couldn't ask the vet.

When you say that there is still a lump do you mean that it's in the same place as the previous abscess ? Did the Vet offer any explanation as to the cause of the abscess ?

Maybe the vet thinks that if the lump is just a bit of inflammation it will have disappeared by the weekend, and if it's the abscess coming back it will still be there and will need to be cut out under surgery.
You should be able to phone the vet and get reception to ask the vet for you, or even speak to the vet over the phone.
Hope it all goes well for you, my bridge bun used to get abscesses but after being removed they wouldn't return. Medicinal level manuka honey was good for the wound, perhaps ask your vet about that too.

Elaine has given you good advice :thumb:

I certainly wouldn't worry about it being cancer at this stage x

Thanks all. 4 trips and £150 later he now needs surgery which is going to cost another £250! I feel like they have taken the Micky a little bit and have been trying to get money out of us! Should they have not done the surgery sooner rather than having us back 4 times?

The abscess has come back and it had to be drained again! Tonight she mentioned it could possibly be cancer however they haven't done any tests and now I feel it's too late as they said he needs to be booked in ASAP to have it removed.

Thanks all. 4 trips and £150 later he now needs surgery which is going to cost another £250! I feel like they have taken the Micky a little bit and have been trying to get money out of us! Should they have not done the surgery sooner rather than having us back 4 times?

The abscess has come back and it had to be drained again! Tonight she mentioned it could possibly be cancer however they haven't done any tests and now I feel it's too late as they said he needs to be booked in ASAP to have it removed.

I'm really sorry about this :(

Maybe not for this time, but if you want to find another vet, post again in Rabbit Chat and use the header:
"Rabbit savvy vet needed urgently in (your location)" and someone will help with recommendations.

Good luck for his operation x

Thank you. Once he is sorted I will definitely be moving vets. I just hope the surgery will finally get rid of it!

Thank you. Once he is sorted I will definitely be moving vets. I just hope the surgery will finally get rid of it!

Well hopefully they will at least determine if it's an abscess or a tumour. Abscess is more likely, but please let me know what they say after his op :wave:

Back