• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peppermint Is Going Speed Dating

hartleyhare

Warren Scout
Peppermint - or Smint as she is more commonly known - has an appointment tomorrow to meet several prospective husbuns:D. We are both very excited about it. I hope the new love of her life is amongst them.

So exciting :) This has been us recently. We took our doe Dottie to meet a potential husbun at a rescue centre, unfortunately they didn't seem to like each other. Dottie was terrified and the boy kept going nose to nose with her and then swiping her across the face.

But.... Dotties second date at a another rescue was a completely different story. We think it was love at first sight, they've been inseparable ever since.

Wishing you all lots of luck x

So exciting :) This has been us recently. We took our doe Dottie to meet a potential husbun at a rescue centre, unfortunately they didn't seem to like each other. Dottie was terrified and the boy kept going nose to nose with her and then swiping her across the face.

But.... Dotties second date at a another rescue was a completely different story. We think it was love at first sight, they've been inseparable ever since.

Wishing you all lots of luck x

I did see your thread and the lovely pics. They look well matched. There are limited options up here for rescue centres, so hopefully Smint will like one of the three she is going to meet. She still has an angry expression in her eyes:cry:

Awwww - lots of 'love' vibes to Smint - I do hope she finds her 'forever after' bunny.:love:

Conditions at the rescue seem to be worse than last time I visited even though there are less rabbits:cry: It's such a depressing place to visit.

Anyway, Peppermint was introduced to an intact male, who we were told was handed in as a stray and is around 18 months ( a guess on the rescue's part). She said she had given the combination vaccination herself in Nov just gone. His reaction to Smint was to fling himself at her and hump the living daylights out of her followed by several attempts to push his way underneath her. Having lived with a quiet, impeccably mannered elderly bun this new guy must have been like a bomb going off. She was very tolerant to him though and did not show any aggression to him at all. I think she was frozen to the spot!

They are now installed in Hooper's crate ( he is in Smint's crate ). The humping has gotten slightly less and I've seen him lying next to her a few times. She is still hunkered down not showing any interest with her eyes half closed. They ate a little bit of food together earlier.

I'm worrying now that I haven't let her grieve long enough. It's only been just over a week since Remmi died. I think she's had a big day today and that she is feeling tired and maybe a bit confused. I hope I haven't made her feel really miserable.

Conditions at the rescue seem to be worse than last time I visited even though there are less rabbits:cry: It's such a depressing place to visit.

Anyway, Peppermint was introduced to an intact male, who we were told was handed in as a stray and is around 18 months ( a guess on the rescue's part). She said she had given the combination vaccination herself in Nov just gone. His reaction to Smint was to fling himself at her and hump the living daylights out of her followed by several attempts to push his way underneath her. Having lived with a quiet, impeccably mannered elderly bun this new guy must have been like a bomb going off. She was very tolerant to him though and did not show any aggression to him at all. I think she was frozen to the spot!

They are now installed in Hooper's crate ( he is in Smint's crate ). The humping has gotten slightly less and I've seen him lying next to her a few times. She is still hunkered down not showing any interest with her eyes half closed. They ate a little bit of food together earlier.

I'm worrying now that I haven't let her grieve long enough. It's only been just over a week since Remmi died. I think she's had a big day today and that she is feeling tired and maybe a bit confused. I hope I haven't made her feel really miserable.

Why wasn't she introduced to a neutered male, as presumably if you took him you'd have to get him neutered anyway?

I think personality does it with bunnies. I've bonded many combinations, but I've found a grieving/beareaved rabbit benefits from being with another 'needy' rabbit, not one that's bounding with hormones.

That said, I hope they will get on well for her sake (and his, of course) xx

Most of the rabbits are not neutered or spayed and its only recently that she has managed to vaccinate them. I paid for 3 of them to be done last year as they seem to have mxyi outbreaks frequently. I expected that I would have to pay for the neutering, microchip and worming. He is a lovely boy and hopefully will be even more lovely once relieved of his raging hormones. She did say that she would take him back if I feel Smint is not happy.

Most of the rabbits are not neutered or spayed and its only recently that she has managed to vaccinate them. I paid for 3 of them to be done last year as they seem to have mxyi outbreaks frequently. I expected that I would have to pay for the neutering, microchip and worming. He is a lovely boy and hopefully will be even more lovely once relieved of his raging hormones. She did say that she would take him back if I feel Smint is not happy.

That's a really good plan :)

Hope it works out if you want to keep going with this one :)

I had already decided that whatever the outcome I was not going to return him. I don't want to say too much on a public forum, but anyone wishes I am happy to explain why in a PM.Intend to proceed with plan for neutering, microchip and worming. If it doesn't work out for him I will then try to find him a suitable home, checked by myself first.

However ............

Cuddled up at 11.45 last night.........and at 2.00am ......... still cuddled at 5.10am ......... and 6.45am ......... and still cuddled now at 9.05am. He has calmed down considerably and is wearing a big bunny smile. Smint is looking decidedly smug. Early days yet, of course, but its looking promising:D

So glad it is going well especially as the rescue sounds as if it is struggling for funding and therefore not an ideal place for the animals to be.

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck with him. You are very kind to say that you won't return him to them no matter the outcome x

Back