• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mallen - poorly pet shop pig

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
After alot of pondering about whether I was doing the right thing I bought a poorly guinea pig from a pet shop at the weekend. I have been monitoring him for a couple of weeks and after I had a closer look at him on Friday and had a go at the shop assistant who refused to let me take him to the vets, I went back and bought him on Saturday.
This is Mallen
Sweetie.jpg

See how thin he is
t_Skinnyboy.jpg

he has swollen joints on his front legs, is covered in bites and is losing his hair. I aint happy!!
This piccie shows the hair loss and swollen joint.
t_Swellbald.jpg

Aww poor chap! Maybe you could get a copy of your vets report and send copies to the shops manager and the local council (who licence petshops).

Tam

Grrrrrrrrrrrr pet shops make me mad all they are interested in is their poxy money

I agree with Tamsin.

What was the name of the pet shop?

ps By the way Mallen is a very cute piggy

Hello, sorry to interupt this thread, but for Legal reasons we strongly advise you not to publically name the Pet Shop through which you experienced this problem.
If folk wish to Pm each other re this away from the Open Forum then of course that is your business.
I hope you do not mind my stating this fact, but it is in your own interests that I have done so. :D

I am sorry to hear about the unwell guinea pig, lucky that you were on hand to help when you did, well done :D

No worries Adele, I have no intention of publicly naming them. I don't want to jeopardise any complaints I have initiated with both the Trading Standards and the RSPCA.
I really begrudged handing them money which is why it took so long to step in, however, when they said there was nothing wrong with him I knew he was not going to get any treatment from them. They will be presented with a vet bill and I will demand my money back - there is no way they will make anything out of this pig

awwww

Good on ya. The poor we thing doesn`t look happy.
Let us know how you get on. It amazes me that ppl can do this sort of thing. Well makes me mad really. Good on ya for rescuing him:)
bronie

Oh the poor little guy, he looks so sad and sweet. I hope he's going to be OK, please keep us up to date with his story. And good on you for helping him.
Anna

Well done for helping Mallen. He would probably have been overlooked by most people in the condition he is in. Wonder what the pet shop would have done if he was not sold :roll: . Good luck with the RSPCA etc. keep us posted as to how it all goes :D .
what a lovely colour he is :D .

Julie,

You did the right thing and are continuing to do so by following it up with every authority available. Good Luck to you and your piggie.

Well done you for helping this little guinea pig.

Mallen looks a bosta and hopefully now with your good care - this little critter will make a good recovery - I'll keep fingers crossed.

I think this is precisely why Animal Welfare needs a regulatory body to pay un-announced vists to keep a general check on animal welfare - I have my police womans hat ready to go!! - Just kidding folks.

Just a quick update - Mallen is improving all the time, he has scurvy, is very underweight, his teeth are too long and he has ear mites. The swelling on his leg has reduced, however, the sudden change in his diet to include fresh grass and veg has upset his tum a bit so he is now mainly on hay to try and naturally wear down his teeth as the vet doesn't want to stress him out too much in his current sorry state. He is also on probiotics and vit c supplements to sort out his tum and the scurvy - poor little mite, he must wonder what's hit him since he has been at my house, I feel as though I am constantly syringing stuff down him.
I have still heard nothing from the RSPCA since the call I made on Saturday but the Trading Standards have responded, only to tell me that I need to speak with Environmental Health rather than them re. this.

Kiwibunny said:
How'd he get his name?
He has a Catherine Cookson Mallen Streak - if that means nothing you are a whippersnapper.
I have had a response from the Senior Environmental Health Officer for the area asking for more details and details of the vet I have taken him to. I have given him the full story including lots of piccies. Still nothing from the RSPCA which I am very disappointed about.

OK, connection made! But I'm no whippersnapper, in fact, I'm likely the oldest member of this forum (sadly). Just not a CC fan really, not really keen on historical romance/dramas. But I LURVE guinea pigs...........
Anna

Kiwibunny - just had a look at your pigs on webshots - they are gorgeous, I love black pigs, it took me ages to find Basil and I haven't seen another black rex for sale or in rescue since.

Back