• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Time Question

Thumps

Alpha Buck
Is there such a thing as too much readigrass?
My guys are treating feeding time like a 2 course meal now that I've bought readigrass for them. Ok this is how feeding time at the 'Aberdeen Zoo' goes, they bounce up and down until I go into the cupboard, then they go round in circles while i measure out the food, then as I move from cupboard to bed they dash back and forth until I get to the dish, then they become blind and can't find the dish! How a bunny hasn't been squished and a hoomin hasn't broken anything I don't know :lol:
Anyhoo after munching all the pellets, we move onto pudding (being Aberdonian we are not posh enough to do a starter) pudding is a bowl of readigrass. The 2 smaller pairs have a gravity bin full of readigrass but I refill it morning and night and then Coco and Jasper, the bigger bunnies, have a huge plastic bowl which is again filled morning and night, the smaller-single bunnies have a bunny sized dish filled twice a day. On top of this they have a communal dish which is filled twice a day but it depends who is out as to who eats it but they will sometimes finish that and then eat from the dish in their beds. Further to this they also have West Wales hay in racks which are filled every 2nd day (large hay racks). They have eaten 3/4 of a 18 kg boxof West Wales hay in um, oh my god, just worked it out, just over 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of them are healthy and pooping surprisingly well :lol: (hmmm will have to rethink the WWW hay idea)
The other question is, if they are eating this much hay/grass does the fibre count in pellets which make up a very small amount of the diet matter??? Im looking at Dodson & Horrell pellets which are 13% fibre.

Angela

I think readigrass is purely dried grass, and has a higher fibre content than hay, I wouldn't think it would be possible to feed too much as it is good for them to graze on it as their leisure, but obviously a close study of poos will provide you with all the information you need... :lol:

The best possible source of fibre is hay and grass and vegetables, if they are getting enough from these, I wouldn't worry too much about the pellets they are just a supplement really.

Hmmm close inspection of poop doesn't seem to show much :lol: still dark in colour.
Getting into this idea of cutting out pellets though or at least down to one small meal a day. We have run out of pellets until Saturday you should have seen those little faces light up when the veggies came out :lol: normally veggies only appear in the evening. Pellets make up a small amount of the days munching anyway I only feed them as they enjoy it so much.
Thanks for the replies.
Angela

Mubby said:
Thumps said:
being Aberdonian we are not posh enough to do a starter

oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok sorry being from a non posh bit of Aberdeen we are not posh, is that better? :lol:
Which area are you in?

Angela

Back