• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gift for rabbit rescue - most needed / useful?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

So we have just adopted a gorgeous boy from a rescue centre. The lady running it is an amazing person and I would like to send her and the rabbits a box of goodies. I have already given a cash donation above what they were asking, but I think it would be nice to also send something with an update of how he is getting on (in a week or two).

There were some food donations they had been given already, is it always best to give food or might there be other things they could need?

Thanks x

They might have an Amazon wish list, if you have a look on the rescue secret Santa there are some rescues on there with Amazon lists, that might help?

Have had a look and they did have an Amazon wishlist but it's not been updated recently (since 2015) and all the items are cat ones.

I think they maybe struggle to keep things updated as the rabbits on the website were not the ones we saw and as she has around 50 (some permanent residents) its probably a difficult task. The lady was kind enough to show us around.

I'll probably just go with what I think might be useful. I don't really want to ask them as I want to surprise them x

I reckon healthy chew treats, forage, treat hay would be appreciated - I can't imagine a rescue ever not being able to use those up in time

As suggested... health treats & forage mixes would be good as it's probably something they go through a lot of.
Fungreek crunches may go down well?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I hate to spoil your thought but fenugreek crunchies are bad for rabbits as they are mostly corn. I bin them along with most treats we are given. Believe me money or a grocery voucher is best and saves the rescue from lamenting the waste represented by an unneeded gift. We get so much donated when we take in rabbits or when someone else's rabbit dies and people want to get rid of the stuff that we don't need bits and pieces. And rabbit's diets need to be consistent so you can't change it up just because someone made a donation. I bin most food that gets donated too. If you really want to donate food please check which one they actually use. And remember a bale of hay costs the same as a silly little packet and will be more appreciated. Rabbits prefer hay that hasn't been wrapped in plastic and they can't be impressed by marketing. Meadow hay is all they need. Ours usually ignore fancy hay or readigrass and eat their usual bales in preference.

I was about to suggest bedding as I thought that may be one that is always needed, always best to check what bedding they prefer to use, though.

I hate to spoil your thought but fenugreek crunchies are bad for rabbits as they are mostly corn. I bin them along with most treats we are given. Believe me money or a grocery voucher is best and saves the rescue from lamenting the waste represented by an unneeded gift. We get so much donated when we take in rabbits or when someone else's rabbit dies and people want to get rid of the stuff that we don't need bits and pieces. And rabbit's diets need to be consistent so you can't change it up just because someone made a donation. I bin most food that gets donated too. If you really want to donate food please check which one they actually use. And remember a bale of hay costs the same as a silly little packet and will be more appreciated. Rabbits prefer hay that hasn't been wrapped in plastic and they can't be impressed by marketing. Meadow hay is all they need. Ours usually ignore fancy hay or readigrass and eat their usual bales in preference.

Thats good to know thank you. I will have a rethink and maybe just send hay or a donation. I just wanted to do something nice for them as the lady has such a lot on her plate and was lovely to us. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for all the suggestions though x

Cash or vouchers for their local / preferred supermarket will let them choose the things they need - rescues often ask for basic cleaning supplies, for example (rubber gloves, bin bags, bleach, etc), but the things that are used daily like this are not likely to be donated. It could also be used to get the fresh veg / greens for the animals as needed. Treats are a lovely thought, but rescues are under staffed, underfunded and overworked. Something which makes it a bit easier to keep things running as normal would probably be far more appreciated.

Back