• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benji won't leave sore on back alone

BenjiBun

Young Bun
Hi there, I wonder if anyone could give me any advice for my little bun who's currently driving himself crazy and won't stop licking the area on his back.

A couple of weeks ago we got Benji neutered which was fine and he's healed up well he's already since been back to the vets and got the all clear regarding that.
But recently when stroking him I notice a bumpy area on his back when I lifted the fur I saw a flat pale scab about the size a fifty pence piece. It was pale with yellowy pink tinges to it but it wasn't oozing or anything and appeared to be healing. But alarmed by what I'd seen I took him to the vet as it did look nasty and had just appeared out of nowhere.
The vet checked for mites and fleas but said he was clear and had no idea what was causing this balding scab on his back so she gave me baytril oral antiobiotic to clear up anything that may be causing it or any infection.

All has been going fine for two days and Benji seemed to leave the wound alone but today he's been tearing the scab off revealing bright pink skin underneath. All day he's been licking and tugging at the skin and fur and can't seem to concentrate on anything else but this. He's very stressed and can't leave it alone.

Benji is not the kind of rabbit that will allow you to pick him up (at all) without a drama so a jumper or fabric around the area is out the question and he won't let me near to apply any ointment or bathe it.

I don't know what to do to help him heal up. I feel like he's going to keep tearing at it until he's red raw.

I will call the vet to make another appointment but the whole process of all these vet journeys are an added stress on him.

Thanks in advance
🙋🏼😌

I'd suggest giving the vet a call and seeing if they can offer advice over the phone if he finds trips stressful. As they've seen him recently if they want to add ointment or anything they may be able to give you a prescription without seeing him again.

It's possible it's a reaction to an injection - they are usually given between the shoulder blades. Did he perhaps have a shot of baytril as part of his neuter? Sometimes it can create a sore looking scab which almost looks like a burn and can show up a week or so later.

If he won't leave it alone you might need try a physical barrier. You can use an armless baby grow with the front flap cut off at the waist to make a bunny size jumper to cover it up or a collar/cone like you may have seen dogs/cats wear. The former is better if he'll tolerate it as it allows access to clean his own bum/eat poop which a collar stops. The vet maybe able to put one on if you can't. Rabbit's are tricky to bandage.

Distraction may help a bit - so increase enrichment e.g. making him hunt for food and hiding all his dry food in different things or mixing it in his hay.

Thanks Tamsin for all your detailed advice. We gave the vet a call as you suggested and she was able to suggest an alternative medication which we could pick up without Benji needing to be present. Luckily after further monitoring Benji did appear to pay less and less attention to the area as the days went on and it now seems to be healing (just calm pink skin)
So hopefully this will continue.

Thanks again Tamsin 🙂

That's great, I'm glad to hear it's healing well :) Some bunnies don't seem to be able to resist removing a scab and bunnies scabs always look a bit weird.

Back