• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting rabbits chose to go outside in the winter?

Stator

Warren Veteran
We've had a warm winter but the difference in temperature between inside and out is still significant.

IF they're living indoors and it's about 18c indoors, and you open the back door at lunch time to let them have a run about in the garden, are rabbits smart enough to decide for themselves whether to go outside or not?
If they go outside and it's too cold, will they make themselves ill?
Their ears always get warm when they come inside again, but I don't think that's anything to worry about, is it?

We've had a warm winter but the difference in temperature between inside and out is still significant.

IF they're living indoors and it's about 18c indoors, and you open the back door at lunch time to let them have a run about in the garden, are rabbits smart enough to decide for themselves whether to go outside or not?
If they go outside and it's too cold, will they make themselves ill?
Their ears always get warm when they come inside again, but I don't think that's anything to worry about, is it?

Hi Tim

I let my indoor rabbits out during the cold weather, and they go in and out as they wish. I have not had any problems :D

Our girls enjoy free roam in the garden during winter... they've been out in -5degc (the house was freezing from leaving the back door open).
They spend about 4 or 5 hours out before deciding to come back in, which is when the snuggle under the table with a couple of warm teddies (I microwave them). I just make sure they warm gradually after coming in.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Our girls enjoy free roam in the garden during winter... they've been out in -5degc (the house was freezing from leaving the back door open).
They spend about 4 or 5 hours out before deciding to come back in, which is when the snuggle under the table with a couple of warm teddies (I microwave them). I just make sure they warm gradually after coming in.

Just had a faint heart moment ..
I speed read your post and thought you microwaved the buns when they came in to warm them up :shock:

Just had a faint heart moment ..
I speed read your post and thought you microwaved the buns when they came in to warm them up :shock:
[emoji38] omg!
Could you imagine?! :eek:
For the record... I don't microwave the rabbits.... I microwave the dogs...

f0d257970922a5d351f853b7a980cdcd.jpg

Thanks for all the input :)

It was 4c today and although it was sunny I couldn't bring myself to let them out so they had to stay indoors with me. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer over the next few days

Thanks for all the input :)

It was 4c today and although it was sunny I couldn't bring myself to let them out so they had to stay indoors with me. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer over the next few days

In the past mine have chosen to go out into the snow rather than stay inside all day :)

I'm confused because I always thought you weren't supposed to let indoor rabbits outdoors in the winter? Or have the guidelines changed more recently?

Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to it (warm climate here) but I remember people posting before saying 'it makes me cringe seeing pictures of indoor rabbits playing in the snow'. :?

I suppose it makes sense if it is ok though (maybe unless you've got a really warm house) because I'm guessing a rabbit warren is warmer than the outside air temperature too.

It's absolutely fine, as long as they can get back in whenever they want to! Daisy has been doing this since she became a housebun 2.5 yrs ago, sometimes she's only out 5 mins, but she loves to go and see what's going on. she soon warms up when she comes back in. It's the other way round which is bad, bringing an outdoor bunny in, then putting them back out into the cold. Then they would struggle to maintain body heat.

Back