• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little bun is still a bad hay eater

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all, I'm getting a bit stressed because Jack, the smaller of my two (separated) boys, is still not keen on eating hay.

Both him and his brother William are fed twice a day with a level eggcup of Burgess Excell pellets, with a small handful of greens at night. William gets a him-sized amount of bog standard meadow hay from Tesco in the morning, and hoovers it all up - he likes it more than his pellets! I've been giving Jack two fibafirst sticks in the morning, to increase his fibre intake as he won't touch the Tesco hay. I ordered the taster pack from the hay experts. We're on day two and sample two, and I'm giving him a small amount with his breakfast, and taken away the fibafirst sticks. He's still not been interested so far.

Now I'm conflicted as whether to reduce his pellet amount or not, to try and encourage him to try the hay. He's quite a small boy, and still a little on the skinny side. He's got a great appetite for his pellets, and I'll be trying the other samples in turn, but I'm just not sure about reducing his normal intake until we find a hay that he'll eat 😔 Thoughts?

The generally recommended amount of pellets for average adult rabbits is an eggcupful once a day. They will certainly choose pellets over hay but, as you are aware, good quality hay is the most important part of a rabbit's diet. Be careful, though, to reduce very gradually. Why are they separate?

As long as he is enjoying his pellets I wouldn't reduce at this age as when he is older and you can cut down his pellets he will most likely get into his hay as Some baby rabbits are not into hay eating.

How old is he? If he is adult you could gradually reduce the pellets to an egg cupful once a day. Have his teeth been checked? He may need a dental. Keep trying different hay, I now only buy farm baled hay, after I ran out of the expensive plastic wrapped stuff one day and found they much preferred the farm baled stuff that I feed to the goats! You could sprinkle the pellets in the hay, or mix his veg in with it too :)

Ah, apologies - both buns are around 3, but I only got them a few months ago. They are separate as they're not neutered yet, and as William gained condition he had started becoming territorial. I am hoping to remind once both are neutered.

In their last home they were only given copious amounts of muesli and carrots, with no hay at all.

Ok, well you are doing the right things for them then. Have they had their teeth checked? They are very likely to need a dental due to their diet at the previous home. That may be why Jack isn't eating so much hay, he could have a sore mouth if he has a spur.

Back