• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Small animal boarding suffolk (sorry was in general chat bit)

Capone

Young Bun
Hope this is ok to post. Just about up and running - Rachaels Pet Care Small Animal Boarding.

Some of you may remember previous posts I have made. Had a nightmare with the guy I ordered my hutches and avairy from. Managed to get the hutches and most of my money back for aviary and built ourselves with aviary panels. Should have been ready this summer. At least we are there.

If your interested or live locally take a look at my fb page. Will paste link below (hopefully work)

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and new year and of course all the furbabies!

Thanks

Rachael

https://m.facebook.com/Rachaels-Pet-Care-Small-Animal-Boarding-346932609019003/?ref=bookmarks

Looks good Rachael - nice spacious enclosures.

Only thing I would suggest is ditching the gravel and replacing with paving slabs as there's no way you can either sweep gravel or disinfect between clients. It looks nicer to the human eye but I wouldn't be happy letting my buns into an enclosure that couldn't be disinfected between clients.

Hooray! Glad you managed to get there in the end, even if it did take a lot longer than you had hoped. You're about 40 mins from me so I did take a look - I do agree with Mackers though, I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy boarding where there is a shared exercise area which isn't capable of being disinfected due to gravel, grass etc between boarders as it risks transmitting all sorts of nasties between boarders, especially as rabbits can be symptomless carriers (e.cuniculi, coccidiosis, RHD2, pasteurella etc). Similarly, I'd also worry about referred aggression between the rabbits in the hutches and the ones in the exercise area which is really common if bonded rabbits get too close to other rabbits. It's a lovely big area, would there be a way of dividing it up so that the bottom floor bunnies have permanent access to half of it each? (with a board divider down the middle so they can't see each other through it) and the upper hutches used for guinea pigs as that would be an ok size for them to stay in?

I wish you luck with your venture, we need more boarders round here!

Agree with you both unfortunately partner done the Base and paid a lot getting it. I'm hoping to add ladders so the indoor bits have option to have 3 tiers for more space if needed. I'm thinking of using gravel on our drive and getting slabs but need to save up. Another issue is our garden slopes down maybe slightly raised decking covering gravel could be an option. Will have to have a think. Thanks for your comments

OK just talking to other half and we're thinking of leveling it all and putting concrete down. Do you think this would be a good move? Then halving the run having some sort of barrier on bottom half so they can't see into each other. Just want to run ideas past first before we decide for definite and get started. Appreciate your views :)

Hi, I used to run Hoppy Holidays in Worcestershire, 2002 - 2016, so if you wish to pick my brains ...feel free to do so. Best of luck.

Looking great! I really like that you have an indoor room too.
I hope you don't mind me saying but looking at it as a potential client I would be put off by the photos of your dog next to the rabbits. I realise from reading on here that they are your pets but perhaps make that clearer :)

Yes my mum did say that actually! The boarding rabbits are in a different part of the garden. Dogs have a separated bit for them. My point of putting photo up is to show I have dogs and they are ok with mine (never have contact ) as wouldn't want to not mention them then someone comes round and be annoyed as if I had lied? But if the picture gives away the impression I'll be letting my dogs that close to boarders then your right could put people off and give wrong impression.

Thanks for your comment. Should I leave any photos of my dogs out as have mentioned I own them?

Ahh yes, I see that in another facebook post you've mentioned the dogs - I thought it was on here that I'd read it.
If I were you, I'd probably put a caption for the photos explaining that it's your rabbit with your dog and that boarders are kept separately... Something like that anyway!
I like the idea of concrete and a barrier too.
Sorry you had such a hard time getting the hutches etc but it really does look great :) Do you/Are you going to advertise on "Find Pet Boarding"/have a website? Just thinking of how we found boarders. All the best with it! xxx

I've deleted the pictures for now. Yes I'm on find pet boarding and will be doing a website but think I'll wait until we've got the concrete and divide sorted. Thank you :) xx

Good luck with the amendments to it - hopefully won't be too big a job now you've got the main structure in place :) One thing I couldn't work out was whether the triple storey 5ft hutch is three individual hutches so it would house 3 rabbits/pairs at the same time, or whether it's one large hutch with ladders between the levels so that it houses one rabbit/s at the same time? I had assumed it was the former but from the amendments you're looking to make, maybe it's the latter? In which case I'd definitely split the aviary and have a separate entrance into each aviary part so they form two distinct permanent units. Should look great when it's all ready to go.

Thank for your comments guys. Few new issues with separating and cleaning. Going with concrete option had a quote we are happy with. Originally was going to slope towards the back with drainage system fitted. However with rain fall and hosing/cleaning the water will run into the other side defeating the point. So thinking of sloping both seperate sides to the the centre and having the draining their :/. Need to discuss with other half when home our options!

For the divide I'm thinking 3 ft high solid wood then mesh to the top? It will have to be raised a few cm for drainage.

Currently the hutches are 3 seperate teirs. So the bottom on both sides will have access to the run. However I'm thinking of adding a ladder to 2nd teir. So they'd have two levels. The top teir could be used for guinea pigs or people wanting cheaper option I guess. It's also a lot taller (top teir) because of the triangle roof.

From a business point of view not sure on charges. If it was a 2 teir hutch with the run what would you be happy to pay? (If that's ok to ask) also with boarding guinea pigs can they go on grass runs? Or same apply not hygienic.

Just want to make sure I get it all right and obviously potential customers are the best to ask!

Think it's getting the balance of offering quilty for price but also having people want to board here as obviously some people will just look for the cheapest :/

Sorry for the essay! Appreciate your help and input :(

Xx

Back