• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Goodbye Lolly Hop.... Hello Mr Cuddles.

Sammysdct

Young Bun
I had posted over in health regarding our much adored housebunny Lolly Hop, who was very poorly after her spay, and sadly passed away 48hrs later. Many thanks for the well wishes for Lolly myself & my family.

Lolly Hop was very dear to me. She lived as a (mostly) free range house bunny, keeping me company during the day when both girls were in school & giving me a reason to go out into the countryside in search of her forage. She insisted on doing her trainingevery evening, where I taught her various tricks, such as jumping through hoops or up on a stool on command, spinning in circles and her best party piece, walking on her back legs (Lolly Hop's idea when she was begging). She was my first rabbit and I think she trained me as much as I trained her.

I have 2 girls, the youngest Mary is 4. My older girl is 7, and has a yet undiagnosed disorder, probably ADHD. She too had a very close bond with Lolly Hop. The difference in her behaviour since we got her has been amazing. Most of the rages we used to experience have mostly gone. She has become happier and more social. Before Lolly Hop, I would have to walk on eggshells for about an hour after school each day. With Lolly, she used to come in and spend about half an hour, just stroking Lolly Hop, and reading/singing to her. After which she would be calm.

When I told the girls of Lolly Hop's death, Amie was very upsett, sobbing her heart out for over half an hour. Later that morning, Mary suggested, with the simple logic of a 4 year old, that we "get a new bunny".

This lead onto a discussion between me, the girls, my husband, and even calling a close friend for advice. My mum has come to stay with us for new year, so her input was sought also.

I am not at all ready for a new rabbit, my grief for Lolly Hop is still too raw. However after talking to Amie about how the new bunny would not be the same as Lolly Hop, we decided that it would be the best thing for her. My Mum told me that "as a parent you sometimes have to put how you feel aside for the sake of your children". There has been a couple of times in my teenage years and in my 20's where a new pet has helped me cope with the loss of the old. I didn't feel I could deny my daughter the same.

I trust my Mum's judgement and she seemed to think it would be best to have the new rabbit settled in, before Amie saw Lolly. She offered to drive us to get bunny, whilst Hubby was collecting Lolly Hop's body.

So now we have a 12 week old lionhead boy, named Mr Cuddles. He is an adorable bundle of fluff, who has settled in very well. I enjoyed seeing him run around excitedly, have a good wash & flop down on his side. He is very cute, but I am struggling slightly.

I usually use small treats to help with bonding in the early days of a new pet. It certainly worked well with the greedy pig that Lolly Hop was, but Mr Cuddles didn't even recognise fresh grass as food. It has thrown me some. I'm guessing he's just finding everything so new & exciting, that food is the last thing on his mind. He's eating his hay & pellets well though & poos are fine.

I have to confess, that the fact I can pick him up without him panicking is a big help. As much as I adored Lolly Hop and how close we were, that was one thing she just would not tolerate.

But I am finding it very hard: Lolly Hop is the only bunny I've had & I am struggling to learn about our new furbaby, whilst grieving for her.

That said it's only been a day & I suppose that time will fix all...

Sorry for the essay, I just need to put my confused feelings into words.. I'm hoping someone on here can understand what I'm going through & maybe offer me some insights.

After reading your post about LollyHop I thought you might need to get another bun sooner rather later to help your daughter, I hope she manages to bond with Mr Cuddles.
Mr Cuddles is still very young he will need to be "introduced" to all the new food types. I am sure once he has tasted everything he can reach, he will realise that treats are more tasty and worth begging for
If he is a lion head, you will need to get him used to being brushed/combed as their fur can get quite thick
Good luck over the next few days

I hope that Amie will bond closely with Mr Cuddles.

I think that when we are adults we find it difficult to accept a new pet quite so quickly as it appears to be a replacement and so we, to an extent, feel guilty about that. I think I too would find it difficult, but I would be very surprised if I didn't very quickly develop feelings for the new pet. We certainly are unlikely to feel the same about different pets, but I think that would be the same however long you left it after losing Lolly Hop.

Children I think see things differently, more simply probably. I think your Mum's right and hopefully Amie will develop a close relationship with Mr Cuddles.

Mr Cuddles sounds adorable, but I can understand that it must be hard for you, having been bonded so closely with Lolly Hop that, left to your own devices, you'd probably have waited much longer to get another bun.

Over the years, I've kept four lionheads and they can be a bit fussy about accepting food from you, although all mine have been cuddle buns who were very affectionate and licky. I had a pair who went wild for the wrong kind of food and ignored the green stuff, and my current lion isn't motivated by food at all really, he eats in his own time and won't come running for a treat. He's fine with being picked up, like Mr Cuddles, and will go a little bit floppy and relaxed as soon as he's nestled under my chin, which is really sweet.

Back