• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting an older rabbit - Update 2/1 New addition (But he's only 3) + pics

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all

We are hoping to find a lovely boyfriend for our single doe Dottie.

She's had one unsuccessful 'date' and I've been trawling the rescue websites in the hope of finding somebun suitable. It's proving more difficult than I thought.

However, I have come across a widowed bun thats six years old ( I don't know if that's classed as elderly, but is a lot older than any of our others). My dh is worried that we might not be able to get insurance for long and that he might have health problems. But I guess it's just as possible that a younger bun might fall ill.

I would like to offer a home to a rabbit that might not be everyone's first choice but is equally deserving of a good home.

I don't know, wondered if it's something others would hesitate over? Dottie is one btw. Thank you x

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate over it in the sense that I wouldn't class 6 as particularly elderly, so wouldn't be too concerned about health problems etc. I'm not sure about insurance though, but I have been able to insure my 10 year old dog easily with a reasonable price so there may be companies that are good with insurance for older bunnies too. I may however be concerned about the age gap, the bun you adopt would most likely pass away sooner and leave Dottie looking for another husbun again. Although if you find your heart set on an older bun I wouldn't rule him out, Beano is 7 and Jake is 2 and I don't really worry about the age gap and that we are likely to have to find Jake another friend once Beano passes, they enjoy each others company and are a lovely couple so I just enjoy spending the time we have with them both. Good luck whatever you decide :)

I wouldn't worry about age gap for bonding.

For us here, we wouldn't class him as old. But in insurance you'll probably have trouble getting cover due to his age... I think they class them as geriatric at 6 years

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your replies.

I think our main concern would definitely be insurance. I've been doing some research and it does look like they all only go up to age five for beginning a policy.

I'm just speculating at the moment as I haven't enquired and dont actually know if they even rehome to our area, or if they'd even get on! x

Thank you both for your replies.

I think our main concern would definitely be insurance. I've been doing some research and it does look like they all only go up to age five for beginning a policy.

I'm just speculating at the moment as I haven't enquired and dont actually know if they even rehome to our area, or if they'd even get on! x

Yes, policies have to start before the age of 5, so you'd have to be prepared to just foot the bills as they happen or plonk a tidy bundle into a savings account for vet bills.

The Rescue where I am a volunteer will pay for veterinary costs for any bunny adopted who has long term health problems, dental issues, etc. Maybe other rescues would do the same? We struggle sometimes to get homes for older bunnies or those with health problems. Good luck with your search :thumb:

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the link Omi, very useful. I'm going to look into NCI as it sounds like they might do up to age 7. I've never heard of them but if the premiums aren't ridiculous x

The other alternative if taking on an older rabbit doesn't work out for you, is maybe a "special needs" rabbit? These are also overlooked based on the potential difficulties. I chose Erasmus to bond with Athena and River for this reason. His "special need" is being deaf, and so long as you don't startle him or tease him with food, he's the loveliest rabbit. However, because he was a known biter and, literally just before he came to me he was discovered to be deaf, it probably put several adopters off.

Honestly? If your other rabbit is young, I'd adopt another young rabbit. The profile of rabbits in rescue is completely different to that of cats or dogs. In cat/dog rescue, youngsters get snapped up and the older ones stay stuck at the rescue for ages, so it works well to want to adopt an older animal.

With the exception of those with known health problems, I'd say it's the other way round for rabbits. Because they breed so prolifically and get given up to rescue when they are much younger, there tend to be loads of healthy youngsters in rescue and fewer oldies. The oldies therefore can get rehomed more easily because there aren't as many of them and plenty of people are looking for older rabbits to bond with bereaved older bunnies. When I was left with a 9 year old rabbit after her partner died, I spent ages trying to find an older rabbit in rescue to bond her with and just couldn't find one. The only one I did find was snapped up by someone else while I was waiting for a home check, and I ended up having to adopt one much younger than I really wanted to.

If you're looking to rehome a rabbit that might not be everyone's first choice, rather than an older rabbit, I'd suggest an agouti coloured or black rabbit. They tend to hang around in rescues for ages because they are overlooked in favour of the 'prettier' colours. Just thought I'd give a different angle :)

Thanks all.

Thats really interesting Santa and probably different to what I and other people might have thought about which ones get chosen.

As it happens though we've had a really eventful day, I got a call from a rescue I'd looked into (not the one with the older rabbit) and we were able to go there today. There were a number of possibilities, but we and it would appear Dottie have fallen in love with the first one we saw. They had a really successful bonding session, in complete to contrast to our previous experience and after over an hour car journey have just settled them in here.

He's gorgeous, I'll get some pictures up soon. He's three years old, so much closer in age, and is some sort of lop. He's a little bigger than her and is cream / white with coloured patches. We've decided to change his name to Darwin. They hit it off straight away, he's very relaxed. We have put together a pen in our room and my girls are observing them. I'm so happy, I hope it continues so well x

Darwin sounds perfect and importantly it sounds as though Dottie quite likes him too :D Wonderful news.

Thanks all.

Thats really interesting Santa and probably different to what I and other people might have thought about which ones get chosen.

As it happens though we've had a really eventful day, I got a call from a rescue I'd looked into (not the one with the older rabbit) and we were able to go there today. There were a number of possibilities, but we and it would appear Dottie have fallen in love with the first one we saw. They had a really successful bonding session, in complete to contrast to our previous experience and after over an hour car journey have just settled them in here.

He's gorgeous, I'll get some pictures up soon. He's three years old, so much closer in age, and is some sort of lop. He's a little bigger than her and is cream / white with coloured patches. We've decided to change his name to Darwin. They hit it off straight away, he's very relaxed. We have put together a pen in our room and my girls are observing them. I'm so happy, I hope it continues so well x

Lovely update! :love: I hope Darwin settles well with Dottie. You deserve some joy after the heartbreak of Sydney. xxx

Thanks guys :) Is photobucket still having issues? I haven't been able to put any photos up for a while.

Dotties been grooming him :shock::) x

Aww that's lovely, they seem to have hit it off quickly :love:

Photobucket has been fine for me, I've never had a problem but I have read others haven't been able to get it to work so it does seem to be temperamental.

Thanks Casco.

Just wondering if they continue to be relaxed would it be ok to keep them together overnight, or should Dottie go back to her room? x

Lovely update I'm reading :)
Can't wait for pictures.

Personally, I'd keep them together if they seem settled. But I'm quite relaxed with this side of things.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks all.

Wonderful :D Looking forward to piccies x

Back