• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malocclusion

I have a 1.5 year old dwarf rabbit who had his teeth trimmed almost a month ago. They have grown back insanely quick and he has another tooth trimming appointment on Thursday. However, it seems this time around he is in considerably more pain than before and it seems to be getting worse by the hour. Last night he was restless the whole night it seemed and woke me up several time digging at my chest, something he never does. Additionally, he cannot sit still, his vheeks always twitching, his head always pointed up, or he is trying to squeeze his tongue through one side of his teeth. He had still been able to eat, we give him a small amount of pellets, fresh veggies cut up, dental hay sticks, and an open supply of a mixture of hays and grasses. Additionally, he has a mixture of sticks and chew toys he never chews. Poops look healthy thankfully.

My concern is with his restlessness now, it really worries me he cannot sit still! I check out his teeth and indeed, one of the has developed a spur so Im guessing thats where most of the discomfort is being generated. Can he afford to wait until Thursday and is there anything I can do to relieve his pain other than endless snuggles? I am worried if we wait he will cut up the inside of his mouth pretty bad, even while I write this I see his head quickly tilting up towards the ceiling before he resets, just to repeat over and over again. Thanks for the help, happy new year!

I would personally take him to the vets for emergency pain relief and a vet assessment. On pain relief, they may say he's able.to wait until Thursday to have the teeth treated but he will benefit massively from pain relief. (Personally, I'd take him tonight as it's not nice for him) .

Sending vibes.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a 1.5 year old dwarf rabbit who had his teeth trimmed almost a month ago. They have grown back insanely quick and he has another tooth trimming appointment on Thursday. However, it seems this time around he is in considerably more pain than before and it seems to be getting worse by the hour. Last night he was restless the whole night it seemed and woke me up several time digging at my chest, something he never does. Additionally, he cannot sit still, his vheeks always twitching, his head always pointed up, or he is trying to squeeze his tongue through one side of his teeth. He had still been able to eat, we give him a small amount of pellets, fresh veggies cut up, dental hay sticks, and an open supply of a mixture of hays and grasses. Additionally, he has a mixture of sticks and chew toys he never chews. Poops look healthy thankfully.

My concern is with his restlessness now, it really worries me he cannot sit still! I check out his teeth and indeed, one of the has developed a spur so Im guessing thats where most of the discomfort is being generated. Can he afford to wait until Thursday and is there anything I can do to relieve his pain other than endless snuggles? I am worried if we wait he will cut up the inside of his mouth pretty bad, even while I write this I see his head quickly tilting up towards the ceiling before he resets, just to repeat over and over again. Thanks for the help, happy new year!

I think from what you have described he cannot wait until next Thursday to be seen by a Vet. He may well have stopped eating by then and he is obviously in some pain. Personally I would contact your Vet's out of hours service to seek their advice. Even just obtaining some analgesia for your Rabbit would be better than nothing.

I think from what you have described he cannot wait until next Thursday to be seen by a Vet. He may well have stopped eating by then and he is obviously in some pain. Personally I would contact your Vet's out of hours service to seek their advice. Even just obtaining some analgesia for your Rabbit would be better than nothing.

Appreciate the quick replies. We called our vet earlier and they are closed until Tues so we are searching for an alternative. He is still eating thankfully, he just shredded some sprouts, carrots, and his dental chew so I suppose in that regard, he is OK. As far as the pain, we will call an open vet! Thanks a lot!

I would personally take him to the vets for emergency pain relief and a vet assessment. On pain relief, they may say he's able.to wait until Thursday to have the teeth treated but he will benefit massively from pain relief. (Personally, I'd take him tonight as it's not nice for him) .

Sending vibes.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with daphnephoebe. Pain relief is essential, even before the teeth are sorted out. He can then wait until Thursday to have them attended to properly.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I really hope you can get him sorted out - he sounds like a real darling :D

What vets normally do when they are closed is give the number for the on-call vet/service, so not very helpful,of your vet not to do this. Where abouts do you live?

What vets normally do when they are closed is give the number for the on-call vet/service, so not very helpful,of your vet not to do this. Where abouts do you live?

A Vet is Professionally obliged to do so :

'Providing information about the 24-hour emergency cover provision
3.23 Veterinary surgeons should provide their clients with full details of their 24-hour emergency
cover provision. This should include relevant telephone numbers, location details, information
about when the out-of-hours service is available and the nature of the service provided.
Veterinary surgeons should also inform their clients about the likely initial costs of the service.
3.24 Veterinary surgeons should provide information about their 24-hour emergency cover
provision at the outset of the professional relationship with the client and supply regular
reminders, as appropriate. If the details change, veterinary surgeons should provide their clients
with full updates as promptly as possible.
3.25 Veterinary surgeons should use all possible means to provide information about their 24-
hour emergency cover provision. Examples include client information leaflets, notices or posters
in the practice, clear statements on the practice website / social media, other advertisements
and providing additional information on vaccination record cards.
3.26 Information about the practice's 24-hour emergency cover provision should enable clients
to make an informed decision about their animal’s veterinary care, particularly, where to go in
an emergency. Special consideration should be given to clients registered as disabled who may
have difficulty travelling, especially outside normal working hours.
3.27 Those who outsource their 24-hour emergency cover should ensure that their clients are
given full information about the service, as above. It is not acceptable for such veterinary
surgeons to state that they provide 24-hour emergency cover (or words to that effect) without providing full information about the service.'

Taken from here :

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/code-of-professional-conduct-for-veterinary-surgeons/pdf/

To add to Basie's post, you can ring any vet surgery (not just your own) and find out what emergency services are available.

Good luck in finding care for your little one :)

Wolverhampton. Ut is great to know about the analgesia, wish the vet had told us this at the last tooth trimming and we would have stocked up :p at least we know for next time. We were able to get the appointment moved up to Tues morning as we did get a hold of the vet. He seems to be doing much better and we will monigor his food intake closely. Luckily the vet did give us some liquid food at the last visit just in case he does stop! Little Larry is currently taking a nap :p I do not know how I will handle kids one day as seeing my bun in pain was stressful enough lol. Thanks again all!

Wolverhampton. Ut is great to know about the analgesia, wish the vet had told us this at the last tooth trimming and we would have stocked up :p at least we know for next time. We were able to get the appointment moved up to Tues morning as we did get a hold of the vet. He seems to be doing much better and we will monigor his food intake closely. Luckily the vet did give us some liquid food at the last visit just in case he does stop! Little Larry is currently taking a nap :p I do not know how I will handle kids one day as seeing my bun in pain was stressful enough lol. Thanks again all!

From now until Tuesday is an awfully long time for a bunny not to have pain relief. As they are prey animals, they normally hide their pain very well - but can then go
downhill extremely quickly. I don't want to sound dramatic but if it were me I would go to the emergency vet asap.

How's he doing now? I hope all's well :wave:

Update: Sorry Im a little late with this, but yesterday was crazy busy. Luckily we were able to bring him in to a vet nearby in Birmingham! :thumb:

Back