PDA

View Full Version : What next



hartleyhare
30-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Rermi was PTS two days ago and so Peppermint is now adjusting to life without her soulmate. It is the first time she has experienced loss. However, when she starts to feel a little better we will be thinking about the future.

Options seem to be

A/ take Smint ( silly nickname that stuck ) to a place on the Island that does rabbit rescue, so she can choose for herself who she wants to be with. The person who runs this place is a lovely person but the rescue is overstretched and underfunded. Conditions are not good. I don't feel comfortable saying too much on a public forum and I know how hard it is for this person. I did have a bunny from there a couple of years ago and he died quite suddenly and unexpectedly after just 6 months. That doesn't mean any future bunnies would die of course. I would most likely have to pay for vaccination, microchip, neutering.


B/ look around PAH stores in their adoption sections. I do not agree with this practise as most of the animals I've seen there are unsold shop animals and not rescued as such. They are just as deserving of a home though. They do offer free vaccinations, microchipping and spaying/neutering. They will not take back any adopted animal if the bonding doesn't work.

C/ Keep looking around on the internet to see whatever might come up. We can travel, but don't really want Smint to endure long journey as she's not a good traveller.

Horace the Bold
31-12-2016, 12:41 AM
It sounds to me "A" would the best option for you, Smint and the rescued bun

MightyMax
31-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Rermi was PTS two days ago and so Peppermint is now adjusting to life without her soulmate. It is the first time she has experienced loss. However, when she starts to feel a little better we will be thinking about the future.

Options seem to be

A/ take Smint ( silly nickname that stuck ) to a place on the Island that does rabbit rescue, so she can choose for herself who she wants to be with. The person who runs this place is a lovely person but the rescue is overstretched and underfunded. Conditions are not good. I don't feel comfortable saying too much on a public forum and I know how hard it is for this person. I did have a bunny from there a couple of years ago and he died quite suddenly and unexpectedly after just 6 months. That doesn't mean any future bunnies would die of course. I would most likely have to pay for vaccination, microchip, neutering.


B/ look around PAH stores in their adoption sections. I do not agree with this practise as most of the animals I've seen there are unsold shop animals and not rescued as such. They are just as deserving of a home though. They do offer free vaccinations, microchipping and spaying/neutering. They will not take back any adopted animal if the bonding doesn't work.

C/ Keep looking around on the internet to see whatever might come up. We can travel, but don't really want Smint to endure long journey as she's not a good traveller.


So sorry about Rermi :(

If it were me and Peppermint I would choose a bunny from a rescue, but also keep my eyes and ears open to whatever seems right on the Internet in the way of unwanted rabbits.

This approach has worked best for me and my rabbits over the years.

Good luck hartleyhare xx

Mrs. Bunnykins
31-12-2016, 06:15 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would chose option A. All the very best in whatever you decide to do. x

Babsie
31-12-2016, 06:19 PM
If it were me, I would go for 'A'. I, too, have rescued from a well-intentioned but underfunded (and resultant poor conditions) Rescue.

hartleyhare
31-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Option A/ is the easiest option and will give Smint the opportunity to chose for herself. When I took another rabbit there for a meet and greet the one I would have chosen was not the one she picked:oops: As stated there is a risk involved with getting another bun from this rescue and I guess it is clouding things bit for me. Over past three months I have lost two buns, one elderly rat and two hedgehogs (one was just a bub of 3-4 weeks and could have been saved had he been brought to me sooner ). I'm also expecting to loose another ratty soon:(

I had a quick scout about online. It's quite depressing. There are so many unwanted buns:cry:
I had a look at RSPCA Conwy and they have a couple of buns advertised who could be suitable. I am not a fan of the RSPCA and I don't know if they allow a meet and greet session prior to adopting.

Smint is eating well enough but she has an angry expression in her eyes and she is running away from me when I approach her. I think she blames me for taking Remmi away. Maybe she even thinks she will be next.