• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

has anyone come across this before.........

bunnyhuggger

Warren Veteran
one of my friends has a bunny which dribbles from his mouth occasionally, usually when being held and petted or when he's in the car. Now he's a verrrry laid back bun and not bothered by anything which goes on around him. He's a housebun and well loved. Likes to play with toys and do his own thing. He's a big baby, he'll lie in your arms and get his tummy groomed, you can play with his feet etc. and he doesn't bat any eyelid! He's a large white fluffy lop with pale pink (almost lilac) eyes. He's been seen by two vets about this problem. Frist one said he needed his teeth done but owner decided on second opinion. Second vet took a lot of time over him, examined him very carefully, used an otoscope to look at his molars, and said no his teeth are fine. He doesn't dribble all the time, only occasionally. Anyone come across this before?

I thought teeth too, but the second vet insisted no, all teeth were fine. First vet just looked at his front teeth, not his molars at all. When I had a look, there was a tiny brown mark on one of his lower incisors but it was quite near the cutting edge, and it was a bit ermmmm, I want to say lumpy but that's not quite right, maybe slightly ridged.

Umm, unlikely to have had a stroke at only 2 years then. If the teeth have abnormal ridges maybe that could be the sign of a vitamin deficiency but I on't know which one.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Umm, unlikely to have had a stroke at only 2 years then. If the teeth have abnormal ridges maybe that could be the sign of a vitamin deficiency but I on't know which one.

Tam

Ooooh will have to go look that up now. For the first time since having Sophie living with me I managed to get a look at her teeth at the weekend and both the front top teeth are really ridged, no wonder she's got a good sharp bite on her they're almosy serrated :lol: Also had to have a look at her nose as one bunny decided to perform cosmetic surgery on her, not quiet sure Sophs agreed to it though. Her nose is going to look a bit funny from now on but she doesn't mind.
Anyway what Im posting to say is Yes I have come across this before. Sooty the Netherland does it when I have to pick him up but then he also gets very stressed out by me picking him up which is what I have always put it down to. Thankfully he is getting a bit better about handling and relaxes a bit now.
Now if it was a teeth problem wouldn't bunny be dribbling constantly or at least after eating? Casper had to have his teeth done at 3 or 4 months old and the reason I noticed was he always had a wet chin and lumps along his jaw line. Just re-read your message, Casper had light pink/Lilac eyes too, depended what day it was though sometimes it was very lilac sometimes pink or red! Very strange. Also noticed this bunny dribbles in the same situations as Sooty, is it possible he isn't all that laid back and is nervous of these things? Then again if bunny is laid back is it possibly so laid back that when happy bunny kind of loses control like a cat sometimes can?? (Tam where's the shrugging emotawhatsit?)
Probably no use what so ever after all that blabbling :lol:
Angela

Sometimes i think its just the shape of the head. I have known this in French Lops who have got a bit overheated or stressed with a journey & get a wet mouth, bib & paws. Have also known it in normal daily circumstances with Frenchies with a particularly rounded head. The wetting is obviously minimal in this case. These were all healthy rabbits with no dental problems.

Hi does have a particularly rounded head (although he IS very handsome!), maybe this is the problem then. *sigh* oh well........

I too have a cat that slobbers everwhere when he gets affection made of him. Usually by that point we stop fussing him as we end up getting covered in it! :roll:

Hello, I think you are onto something here folk...I agree that if teeth problems, or mild strokes are not the cause of bunnies dribbling, it can be safely assumed it is the shape of the mouth and perhaps some bunnies just produce more saliva when stressed. The bunny then dribbles the saliva out once they relax again.
I have to say my Husband dribbles onto MY pillow :shock: :shock: sometimes when he is asleep (sshhh he would be mortified if he knew I had said this here), and he is not old, does not have teeth problems, or a strange mouth contour....perhaps it is just lying next to me that does it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Im enough to make anyone dribble :shock:

NICE ONE ADDLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.gif

Having ridges on the front teeth is not a good sign they are supposed to be smooth. The very back teeth canot be looked at properly unless the rabbit is put under. If it gets any worse or the eyes start running i would have him put under for a proper look. One or more of the very back teeth may have spurs and this is very painfull This would cause drooling as they dont want to close their mouths properly because it hurts. val

Back