• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange scab type patch

naomijane

Young Bun
Please can someone give me an opinion on this little patch I have found on one of Max's ears yesterday ... just this little patch, I've checked him over and I can't see any more. It doesn't appear to be bothering him and doesn't appear to be sore. It's just like a white scab really and it's lost the fur over it. When I first saw it I thought it might be a scab from a healing injury ... my two little fellas have had a few bonding issues recently after them both being neutered. So are being kept separate at the minute, however there was an accidental scuffle a week or so ago which may have caused an injury although I didn't see anything at the time?

Can find and similar patches on Arthur my other bunny either. Both are off to the vets on Tuesday evening for their Vaccinations, so I will get it checked out then too, but I just wondered if there is anything I can do for him before then?

I've tried to post a photo of the patch from my Facebook, but I don't know if it has worked!

Thanks! :thumb: Love Max the bunny xxx

photo.php

Last edited:
Is there any flakiness coming from the patch? Or have you seen him scratching his ears at all?

Does look a little bit flakey I suppose but I've not seen him itching it to be honest. General cleaning as he usually does, but nothing more only what he then goes on to do with the other ear!

I can't see anything wrong with the other ear and I've had a look inside his ears and I can't see anything abnormal there either. In all other areas he seems healthy, he's eating normally, he's running about etc.

Last edited:
It looks a bit like mites, or even potentionally ringworm as it's very localised.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound greasy! He's booked in at the vets on Tuesday evening, do I need to take him sooner!?
If he seems fine, and it's not bothering him... I generally wouldn't worry too much. Just wear gloves and handle him after handling his brother (if separate cages).

It's likely appeared due to a drop in the immune system, which can sometime occur with stress.

Obviously, I'm just going by what I would personally do. You may feel more comforted having a vet check him sooner though x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That doesn't sound greasy! He's booked in at the vets on Tuesday evening, do I need to take him sooner!?

I don't think it warrants a visit before Tuesday if it's not bothering him. It looks like he's scratched it a little, but it's likely to be mites. Sometimes in the colder weather a rabbit can get a bit 'low'. We might catch a cold, whereas a rabbit may succumb to mites (which a rabbit always harbours anyway).

You could try giving a little echinacea to boost the immune system - it can do no harm :D

*doesn't sound greasy in the reply was meant to be "doesn't sound great!" Lol!

Thank you for the advice! He seems perfectly fine and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all and it doesn't seem to have got bigger since I noticed it either. They are both in separate cages at the minute so hopefully we should be ok with that. I'll keep a close eye on him over the weekend, an emergency appointment if necessary, but if not I'll get it checked on Tuesday and avoid the HUGE fees for emergency appointments!

Oh! Echinacea! I have some of that! Can I assume there isn't a specific "rabbit" version and the human stuff will be the same!?

You're right that my bigger worry is why he would be stressed and his immune system low! I try everything I can to keep both my bunnies really happy! They are usually outdoor bunnies or they were for the first 11 weeks of their lives!! Then they came in so that I could separate them due to a sexing mix up (originally told they were both boys, then vet said 1 boy 1 girl, then kept them separate for 2 weeks until they were old enough to neuter and under the anaesthetic we discovered that they were actually both boys after all!) anyway their hormones have been acting up in the weeks since they got done and they haven't been getting along well hence why they are still separated and indoors ... I have no way of separating them outdoors! I let them out as much as possible to roam free in the garden daily (but taking it in turns!) but they are in large dog crates at night. Next week is 4 weeks since the operations so I was going to start rebonding which I was hoping would make them happier again, they used to play so nicely together! I'll take some advice from the vet on Tuesday and see where we go from there!

In the meantime, the echinacea I have is tablets and idea how you get a rabbit to take that or can you get it as liquid!? Would you then syringe it!?

Max thanks you muchly!

Oh! Echinacea! I have some of that! Can I assume there isn't a specific "rabbit" version and the human stuff will be the same!?

You're right that my bigger worry is why he would be stressed and his immune system low! I try everything I can to keep both my bunnies really happy! They are usually outdoor bunnies or they were for the first 11 weeks of their lives!! Then they came in so that I could separate them due to a sexing mix up (originally told they were both boys, then vet said 1 boy 1 girl, then kept them separate for 2 weeks until they were old enough to neuter and under the anaesthetic we discovered that they were actually both boys after all!) anyway their hormones have been acting up in the weeks since they got done and they haven't been getting along well hence why they are still separated and indoors ... I have no way of separating them outdoors! I let them out as much as possible to roam free in the garden daily (but taking it in turns!) but they are in large dog crates at night. Next week is 4 weeks since the operations so I was going to start rebonding which I was hoping would make them happier again, they used to play so nicely together! I'll take some advice from the vet on Tuesday and see where we go from there!

In the meantime, the echinacea I have is tablets and idea how you get a rabbit to take that or can you get it as liquid!? Would you then syringe it!?

Max thanks you muchly!

You are very welcome :D

You can use this one and give two or three drops twice daily on a bit of food:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

There's no rabbit version of it, but you can dose small amounts of either tablets or liquid. If you had a grinder you could pulverise your tablets without having to buy anything else. I have capsules so I just open them and put it onto food.

Good luck, I hope it helps xx

Back