• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Protruding third eyelid

lucy24

Mama Doe
The other day Honey's third eyelid bulged out when she was eating. It really freaked me out! She didn't seem bothered but it was quite gross. My dad stroked around her eye and it when back in but it's happened a few times. She's had a watery eye but I've always assumed it was her teeth as she has problems with her incisors. However these have got under control now. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

The other day Honey's third eyelid bulged out when she was eating. It really freaked me out! She didn't seem bothered but it was quite gross. My dad stroked around her eye and it when back in but it's happened a few times. She's had a watery eye but I've always assumed it was her teeth as she has problems with her incisors. However these have got under control now. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Is it just the one eye or both eyes ?

A protruding third eyelid can be brought on by stress ..

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Nictitating.htm

Is this the first time it's happened?

Yeah it's just one eye. She doesn't seem stressed though. She's quite calm and was enjoying her food... She had that happy fur twitch they do when excited lol

Yeah it's just one eye. She doesn't seem stressed though. She's quite calm and was enjoying her food... She had that happy fur twitch they do when excited lol

As she has known tooth root problems I would contact your Vet and appraise him of the situation. He may need to see Honey to try to ascertain if there is any indication of a tooth root/retrobulbar abscess developing.

Is it the first time it's happened? This happened to one of mine and the end result was nothing to worry about. I should say if it happens a lot then see the vet :)

It's happened a couple of times now. I've booked an appointment just in case . So hopefully not too serious

It's happened a couple of times now. I've booked an appointment just in case . So hopefully not too serious

Yes I hope it's not serious - good to check though :)

If it happens again before your vet visit, try and catch a photo on your phone so you can show the vet. Otherwise he/she won't know how severe or otherwise the issue is.

Good luck with that though - not easy photographing our buns :D

So it turns out it's not serious yay! The tear gland is usually fixed to the bone however it's come loose causing it to pop in and out. Likely due to her tooth problems. It can be fixed by surgery but unless it's happening really regularly or doesn't pop back in place the surgery isn't needed. It's quite common in dogs apparently haha

So it turns out it's not serious yay! The tear gland is usually fixed to the bone however it's come loose causing it to pop in and out. Likely due to her tooth problems. It can be fixed by surgery but unless it's happening really regularly or doesn't pop back in place the surgery isn't needed. It's quite common in dogs apparently haha

Thank you Lucy - I've learned something new today :D

Glad all is well x

Back