• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey - here we go again! A white scab appeared on back

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Sorry to post again, I feel all I ever do is post about issues!

Now I know this is probably trivial, but as its me I'm freaking out. So Bailey has been amazing over Xmas and he has an ear check up next Saturday.

He's fine in himself however this morning I've found a lump on his lower spine. After lots of looking at it, I believe it's a scab but its quite raised and quite a little lump. Now I've called the vets and waiting for a call back.. It's white to look at and he also has lots of white flakes in his fur around it. Obviously where it is, he is unable to reach and I can see it's annoying him.

Could this be mites?? Or could be a scab from a cut like we have?

Hi guys,

Now I know this is probably trivial, but as its me I'm freaking out. So Bailey has been amazing over Xmas and he has an ear check up next Saturday.

He's fine in himself however this morning I've found a lump on his lower spine. After lots of looking at it, I believe it's a scab but its quite raised and quite a little lump. Now I've called the vets and waiting for a call back.. It's white to look at and he also has lots of white flakes in his fur around it. Obviously where it is, he is unable to reach and I can see it's annoying him.

To me it looks like it could well be a clump caused by mites. Bailey's immune system may be a bit compromised because of the stress of vet visits etc, so that could possibly be the cause?

Hi guys,

How low down his spine is it ?

Hi guys,

I'm taking him down to my local vets4pets now as me and great western are thinking mites like you said and we don't want him being stressed out going all the way to Swindon when he is already going next weekend for his ear check!

Jane, it's really quite far down.. Poor little man! I'm so annoyed with myself, we've been away in Wales and he was fine 2 days ago so it must have come on so quickly.

Hi guys,

I'm taking him down to my local vets4pets now as me and great western are thinking mites like you said and we don't want him being stressed out going all the way to Swindon when he is already going next weekend for his ear check!

Jane, it's really quite far down.. Poor little man! I'm so annoyed with myself, we've been away in Wales and he was fine 2 days ago so it must have come on so quickly.

Yeah I really hope it's something with an easy solution.

Vibes for you all :love:

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much and sorry for the late response! they do believe it is mites - So we're back on the ivermectin.

Just wish I had spotted it sooner, but he wasn't showing any signs, and had hardly any dandruff. Hopefully they'll clear up soon for him and I'll crack on with washing all his things!

He hasn't had any recent injections but thanks for the suggestions, although he is due his vaccine in jan, so we are waiting 1 month to ensure the mites have cleared up and then he'll have them too!

Oh and one final thing... She checked his ears whilst there and they are still looking clean!! :) apart from a little wax which we are using a daily cleaner for, I'm just so happy. But we are still heading off to vetsnow next Saturday for a proper check, as his ear canal is rather small and just want to be sure, and see what the next plan is! I'm guessing we'll keep him on the ear cleaner now to try and keep on top of it? Xx

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much and sorry for the late response! they do believe it is mites - So we're back on the ivermectin.

Just wish I had spotted it sooner, but he wasn't showing any signs, and had hardly any dandruff. Hopefully they'll clear up soon for him and I'll crack on with washing all his things!

He hasn't had any recent injections but thanks for the suggestions, although he is due his vaccine in jan, so we are waiting 1 month to ensure the mites have cleared up and then he'll have them too!

Oh and one final thing... She checked his ears whilst there and they are still looking clean!! :) apart from a little wax which we are using a daily cleaner for, I'm just so happy. But we are still heading off to vetsnow next Saturday for a proper check, as his ear canal is rather small and just want to be sure, and see what the next plan is! I'm guessing we'll keep him on the ear cleaner now to try and keep on top of it? Xx

At least you'll be able to get the mites sorted :)

Good news also about his ears. That will give you a little respite from worrying, I hope! You haven't half had a time of it!

I think you're wise to head off to your vet next week for the ear check. I would do the same :)

Pleased to hear the update, at least you know what you are dealing with, and hopefully he will be ok very soon. xx

Hi guys,

So just a further update, I ended up finishing work early yesterday to find Bailey refusing all food & sitting hunched. He was also tummy pressing a lot!! So I gave him some metacam & Zantac (vets are happy for us to have supplies at home). By 5.30 - 6ish, he was still showing signs of discomfort & not touching anything! So off to the OOH vets we went.. To have the little monkey digging in his carrier & munching on hay!! He was seen by Tom to have good gut sounds & moving around like a mad rabbit! I've never felt like such an idiot...

He ended up checking his ears & thankfully his infected ear hasn't got any worse! There is still some pus in there but at least it's still looking good. He explained its going to be a case of just monitoring it & keep the cleaning up. He doesn't actually think the pain was from his ear, & maybe was a build up of gas or maybe a small impactation that maybe the meds helped with earlier.

So all in all he is still his cheeky self & has been happily jumping on the bed to wake me & grunting for his pellets... What we do for our bunnies! Lol! Xx

Hi guys,

So just a further update, I ended up finishing work early yesterday to find Bailey refusing all food & sitting hunched. He was also tummy pressing a lot!! So I gave him some metacam & Zantac (vets are happy for us to have supplies at home). By 5.30 - 6ish, he was still showing signs of discomfort & not touching anything! So off to the OOH vets we went.. To have the little monkey digging in his carrier & munching on hay!! He was seen by Tom to have good gut sounds & moving around like a mad rabbit! I've never felt like such an idiot...

He ended up checking his ears & thankfully his infected ear hasn't got any worse! There is still some pus in there but at least it's still looking good. He explained its going to be a case of just monitoring it & keep the cleaning up. He doesn't actually think the pain was from his ear, & maybe was a build up of gas or maybe a small impactation that maybe the meds helped with earlier.

So all in all he is still his cheeky self & has been happily jumping on the bed to wake me & grunting for his pellets... What we do for our bunnies! Lol! Xx

You are wonderful at quick response Ruth :D

Better to have made an error in that direction than t'other one!

Hugs all round I think! :lol:

Thanks so much guys, I think it's just a case of everything I've been through with H&H, I'll always be over the top with my two!

He is such a monkey but to be fair, looking back I think it's probably from his moult! Happy to say he's back to his naughty self.. Xx

Back