• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cure Snuffles ??

Hi!
My bunny Coco has snuffles and nothing that vet gave us helped. They said that if it gets worse that we should put her to sleep. And I said "never!"
So I read that Echinacea can help and I immediately gave her the tablets, I give her twice a day and we are now on our third day and one thing that I noticed is that her nose is wetter now.
Is it maybe being cleared first and then disappears or what is happening? Does anyone have experience with echinacea? Is there something more that I can give her so her immune gets stronger and fights those stupid bacterias? :O
Coco is happy and runs a lot, eats a lot and bites a loot! :D She doesn't seem to be bothered by it but I'm scared to death and I'll do anything to make that thing go away.
<3

Hi!
My bunny Coco has snuffles and nothing that vet gave us helped. They said that if it gets worse that we should put her to sleep. And I said "never!"
So I read that Echinacea can help and I immediately gave her the tablets, I give her twice a day and we are now on our third day and one thing that I noticed is that her nose is wetter now.
Is it maybe being cleared first and then disappears or what is happening? Does anyone have experience with echinacea? Is there something more that I can give her so her immune gets stronger and fights those stupid bacterias? :O
Coco is happy and runs a lot, eats a lot and bites a loot! :D She doesn't seem to be bothered by it but I'm scared to death and I'll do anything to make that thing go away.
<3

Hello, I am sorry to hear of Coco's 'Snuffles'

What diagnostics/treatment has the Vet already done ?

What are Coco's exact symptoms ?

This link provides some information about the various possible causes of Respiratory Tract Diseases in Rabbits :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

This thread is very long but you may pick up some useful tips if you read through it

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?340086-Snuffle-bunny-thread&highlight=snuffles

The bacteria that they found calls corynebacterium species? my vet said that this bacteria is sensitive to any antibiotics but nothing helped and one of the antibiotics was life threatening for her so we had to stop.

Hi!
<3

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear of Coco's snuffles.

Any course of antibiotics would have to be given for a long course. How long has Coco been on antibiotics? How did the vet diagnose the bacteria causing the snuffles?

If she isn't bothered by it and is behaving normally and actively, then it's under control at the moment so please don't panic!

Hi! Thanks! :D

The vet took a test and saw that she had a lot of "corynebacterium" and said that's what's causing the problem, why her nose is runny all the time.
First time they gave her Bactrim 2 times/day 10 days and that didn't help and second time Vibranord 2times/day 10 days and that didn't help. And then there was one more but that almost cost her her life, she got really bad from that one, Azitromax. We live in Sweden so the names are probably different :D
And that's alla, there is nothing else we can do, only wait and hope for the best, that is what the vet said but I can't just give up and not try stuff. There has to be something else that can help her. At this point it's not bad but it can get worse and then it is to late. :(

Hi! Thanks!

The vet took a test and saw that she had a lot of "corynebacterium" and said that's what's causing the problem, why her nose is runny all the time.
First time they gave her Bactrim 2 times/day 10 days and that didn't help and second time Vibranord 2times/day 10 days and that didn't help. And then there was one more but that almost cost her her life, she got really bad from that one, Azitromax. We live in Sweden so the names are probably different
And that's alla, there is nothing else we can do, only wait and hope for the best, that is what the vet said but I can't just give up and not try stuff. There has to be something else that can help her. At this point it's not bad but it can get worse and then it is to late.

Sorry to hear about your bunny. Have you taken all the precautionss you can to help her such as, no wood shavings or any dusty bedding or hay, no smoke in her environment, no big changes in temperature - is she indoors or outside? cleaning her cage/hutch out every day in her toilet area. The reason she bites is because she can't use her sense of smell to recognise who you are so she is reacting as if you are a threat.

well, I hate my self for not knowing that the wood shavings are bad for them. I have used it since i got them but just because in sweden that's what's recommended by the vets and pet stores. So when I started googling in english theeeeen I found how bad it is for them and I immedietly changed to care fresh. In the begining her nose wasn't so wet but after a few days it was the same :/
I clean our home and change her hay daily, she is indoors.
I think that she bites because she a little diva. :D She doesn't like kisses and hugs and i kiss and hug her a loooot! :D She is only nice to me when we are at the vets
If I eat banana in the kitchen and she is in the bedroom she can sense it. :D

Since your bunny does not bite when she is at the vets, I wonder if she is territorial and she bites you when you at home because she views it as her space. Just yesterday my Raven drew blood when I went to clean his litter tray. He is very possessive of his things, including his empty food bowl and water bottle too.
It took me a long time to realize my one bunny was sensitive to the residue of chlorine bleach I used to wash some bedding/towels.
My late CX had a chronic snuffle for more than half of his 13 years. Even hay made him sneeze if I did not shake out the hay dust before giving it to him.

Hi! Thanks!

First time they gave her Bactrim 2 times/day 10 days and that didn't help and second time Vibranord 2times/day 10 days and that didn't help. And then there was one more but that almost cost her her life, she got really bad from that one, Azitromax. We live in Sweden so the names are probably different
And that's alla, there is nothing else we can do, only wait and hope for the best, that is what the vet said but I can't just give up and not try stuff. There has to be something else that can help her. At this point it's not bad but it can get worse and then it is to late.

Did you find giving the echinacea made her symptoms worse?

yes! she is very territorial and has been since she was a baby. We have one more, Mini, and Coco can't stand her. She hates her so much and I don't understand why because when we brought her home we had a 1 1/2 year old girl Nini, and she loved her. When Nini died I never heard a bunny cry so much as Coco did :( I was so worried because she isolated herself and the vet told us that she needs lots of love and maybe a new bunny so we brought home Mini. It has been over a year now and no changes.

yes! she is very territorial and has been since she was a baby. We have one more, Mini, and Coco can't stand her. She hates her so much and I don't understand why because when we brought her home we had a 1 1/2 year old girl Nini, and she loved her. When Nini died I never heard a bunny cry so much as Coco did :( I was so worried because she isolated herself and the vet told us that she needs lots of love and maybe a new bunny so we brought home Mini. It has been over a year now and no changes.

Are they both spayed ?

Back