• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*Updated* We're going to V4P @ Newmarket but no Ian

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
I need a recommendation on out of hours vets, Cambridge. Near Bar Hill, Earith etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have no idea of your local out of hours vet but didn't want to read and run.

What I normally would do is ring your normal vet and they should have an answer phone message with an emergency vet number for you to call.

Good luck x

I have no idea of your local out of hours vet but didn't want to read and run.

What I normally would do is ring your normal vet and they should have an answer phone message with an emergency vet number for you to call.

Good luck x

This xxx

I don't know of any to recommend that way, but apparently if you go to a branch of vets now (which is fairly likely I'd have thought) they can ring Great Western Referrals for advice as that is part of the Vets Now group too, so if you've got a complicated issue or a vet who doesn't seem to know what to do, they should be able to get some advice from a more savvy branch. Hope everything is ok xx

Cromwell in Huntingdon are OK, I've had a rabbit treated for stasis & bloat in an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I ended up calling my two usual vets for their OOH and both advised the same.

It was for Phoebe who was off her food at dinner time. Refusing all food, treats, even home made ones that they go mad for. And also refusing baby food.

Her check showed a slightly gassy tummy but also some blood in her mouth.
Unknown cause as the vet admitted she couldn't see everything.
She wanted to do dental x rays but.didnt want to waste money/time with a normal machine so have metacam, zantac and food to syringe at home and asked us to book in with IC tomorrow for a GA/sedation, full dental exam and dental x rays.

A picture of before going to vets

0189ef2112f5f583d3d5d5bb17849ffd.jpg

She's now stressed so they're shut in their bedroom and I'll syringe feed in a few moments after she's settled again.

I think it's dental spurs as these were noted at her vaccine in October.

Poor wee poppet. I hope you feel better after your meds & feed Phoebe. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Be a brave girl xx

She's eating hay [emoji38]
She's also had some of her usual pellets.

I mixed some of the recovery food, but she doesn't seem to like the smell. I'll be getting up at 2am to give a syringe feed if I don't notice eating on the camera, and again at 6am for syringe and zantac....

20563c563974fdafa859e3570f31b51a.jpg

I do have a question... how long does injectable metacam last in rabbits? Is it 8 or 12 hours?

good girl Phoebe for having a nibble. I'm sorry I don't know your metacam question but I would have thought it will see her through til tomorrow

Poor Phoebe. I'm pleased that she has started to eat something now. Sending her lots of vibes and I hope that all goes well at the vets tomorrow.

I'm sorry I don't know about the Metacam injection and have never had it given to any of my rabbits. I'd always thought that it was a 24 hour dose that was given, but I suppose the dose could possibly vary and most certainly I could be wrong.

So pleased that she's had a little nibble of hay - hopefully a bit of fibre going in will stimulate her appetite a bit more. I had one who had a metacam injection on Tuesday morning and I was told to start the oral that evening, so I think that means it's anticipated to last for 12 hours ish. It's pretty much the same as the oral one but it just bypasses a poorly-working GI tract so can be more effective to get them going and reduces the risk of stomach ulceration on an emptier than usual stomach. Hope she perks up overnight.

I do have a question... how long does injectable metacam last in rabbits? Is it 8 or 12 hours?

Definitely 12 hours :thumb:

Basically the same as oral Metacam - a dose can actually last (in theory) for 24 hours.

Hope all is well xx

Thanks everyone. I woke up at 2am but didn't disturb them as she was nibbling...

Just off to do meds and see if she wants anything special.

So pleased that she's had a little nibble of hay - hopefully a bit of fibre going in will stimulate her appetite a bit more. I had one who had a metacam injection on Tuesday morning and I was told to start the oral that evening, so I think that means it's anticipated to last for 12 hours ish. It's pretty much the same as the oral one but it just bypasses a poorly-working GI tract so can be more effective to get them going and reduces the risk of stomach ulceration on an emptier than usual stomach. Hope she perks up overnight.

That is how I understand it to be too. The exception being if the Rabbit has known renal/liver impairment and/or is dehydrated

I hope all will go well for Phoebe today dp xx

Back