• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding and litter - teaching the difference!?

naomijane

Young Bun
Hi.
Firstly, I'm a first time bunny owner and I just wanted to say THANK YOU! This is my first post but I have been reading so much and I have found so much helpful information on here!!

On to my actual question! ... I'm (fairly successfully) managing to litter train my bunnies!! It's certainly been a lot easier than I imagined anyway - or so far at least! My bunnies are both male and 16 weeks, they have both been neutered in the past 3 weeks. I initially put them back together after the neutering but there was some fighting so I currently have them living separately in cages side by side quite happily until the hormones go down again and I can get on to rebounding them.

Anyway, because of this they are living inside and not outside in their hutch, there they started out when they first arrived. The litter training is going well in their cages but not so much outside!

Indoors each of them has their own cage, lined with newspaper, own litter tray etc and I have put the hay in a hay rack in each cage. In their cages the litter trays are lined with shredded paper and then a layer of hay on top ... as suggested in a different thread. So far so good, all wees and the majority of poops are in the litter tray!! 😃

However ... when I let them outside to exercise they have access to their hutch and upstairs there is both the litter tray (in the corner that they seemed to want to "go" and then in the second "room" upstairs their is loads of straw and sawdust etc for their bedding. They seem to be preferring to do their business in the middle of all of the bedding rather than in the litter tray when they are outside!! How can I teach them the difference!? surely that can't be great to use your bed as a toilet!? Indoors they don't have all the straw and sawdust down as bedding, they were happier with a cardboard box, every time I put straw in there for bedding they either ate it or chucked it out of the cage! But then they will need it when they go back out in the spring!

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome. The problem is rabbits like to toilet on hay/straw and it makes no difference to them if the hay is in a litter tray or in the "bedroom". Just a litter tray will do with hay in it, soas not to confuse them. Rabbits seldom sleep in the bedroom, if they don't have a litter tray the bedroom is the most common place for their toilet. :roll: From a health point of view it doesn't seem to cause any problems if they decide to sleep in their litter tray, as long as it is cleaned out every day.

At this time of the year when it is very cold outside, it is not advisable to allow indoor bunnies to go out as they can't cope with the big difference in temperature, so it is best to keep them in the same environment until the weather warms up.

Hello and welcome. The problem is rabbits like to toilet on hay/straw and it makes no difference to them if the hay is in a litter tray or in the "bedroom". Just a litter tray will do with hay in it, soas not to confuse them. Rabbits seldom sleep in the bedroom, if they don't have a litter tray the bedroom is the most common place for their toilet. :roll: From a health point of view it doesn't seem to cause any problems if they decide to sleep in their litter tray, as long as it is cleaned out every day.

At this time of the year when it is very cold outside, it is not advisable to allow indoor bunnies to go out as they can't cope with the big difference in temperature, so it is best to keep them in the same environment until the weather warms up.
This.

Although my house bunnies do go outside but they're able to come back into the warmth anytime they wish and are gradually warmed back up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back