• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One baby stays in bed most of the day!

Tamwill

Young Bun
Is it normal for one of a litter of four (4 week old tomorrow) not to be as active as the others? Ive checked it over and it seems physically OK but it only ventures out of the litter box (they've chosen to use as a bed!) for food and water and doesn't play like the other 3. The other 3 are bombing round the cage for ages before hopping back to the litter tray to toilet or nap but this one seems content to just snuggle up and sleep. I've tried lifting it out and placing it where the others are playing but it just hops back to bed or climbs into a nearer bed and just watches. It's gaining weight at the same rate as the others and toileting normally but it just seems odd...

Is it normal for one of a litter of four (4 week old tomorrow) not to be as active as the others? Ive checked it over and it seems physically OK but it only ventures out of the litter box (they've chosen to use as a bed!) for food and water and doesn't play like the other 3. The other 3 are bombing round the cage for ages before hopping back to the litter tray to toilet or nap but this one seems content to just snuggle up and sleep. I've tried lifting it out and placing it where the others are playing but it just hops back to bed or climbs into a nearer bed and just watches. It's gaining weight at the same rate as the others and toileting normally but it just seems odd...

It sounds to be abnormal behaviour. Do the others bully him/her ? Could he/she be blind ? Does he/she have a normal hopping gait with no sign of splay legs ?

Personally I would get him/her checked over by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

It's really hard to say what might be happening with your little one, but the reserved behaviour does seem a bit extreme and I wouldn't class it as normal.

I would in the first instance ring the vet and ask advice, as you don't want to stress it out by a vet journey until you're sure what vet would say.

It could be the reserved one is a girl and the others are boys. I remeber seeing something similar years ago, even at this young age they know that the boys will start chasing her maybe.

It could be the reserved one is a girl and the others are boys. I remeber seeing something similar years ago, even at this young age they know that the boys will start chasing her maybe.
Now this would maybe make sense as I think I've 3 boys and a girl (although I can't be totally sure as they look very similar yet)

It sounds to be abnormal behaviour. Do the others bully him/her ? Could he/she be blind ? Does he/she have a normal hopping gait with no sign of splay legs ?

Personally I would get him/her checked over by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.
Not seen any bullying behaviour but not sure I'd know what to look for? Legs seem fine, hops normally, and eyes both look fine...

Still staying alone this morning and eyes were sticky so we had a trip to the vet. Took all four kits so the vet could check them all and to show her how "reserved" this one is in comparison to other 3. After a thorough check over she said the kit is obviously unwell but couldn't find any obvious reason. Stomach felt normal with no obvious sounds, limbs function normally, breathing rate normal, lungs clear, heart rate normal, mouth, teeth and nasal passages normal. So it was decided the kit would have eye cream for the sticky eye and antibiotics to try and help whatever else is going on. All other kits are perfectly healthy so fingers crossed this one improves and gets back to full health. I'll keep you posted

Still staying alone this morning and eyes were sticky so we had a trip to the vet. Took all four kits so the vet could check them all and to show her how "reserved" this one is in comparison to other 3. After a thorough check over she said the kit is obviously unwell but couldn't find any obvious reason. Stomach felt normal with no obvious sounds, limbs function normally, breathing rate normal, lungs clear, heart rate normal, mouth, teeth and nasal passages normal. So it was decided the kit would have eye cream for the sticky eye and antibiotics to try and help whatever else is going on. All other kits are perfectly healthy so fingers crossed this one improves and gets back to full health. I'll keep you posted

Thank you for posting back :)

I'm glad the vet gave them all a check over and I hope that the eye cream and antibiotics do the trick.

Good luck xx

Quick update..
Poorly kit bounced back within days of starting antibiotics. Went through a week or so of being considerably smaller than the other 3 but has now caught up nicely.

Back