• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loxicom recall-dosing syringe error

Thanks for this Jerz, I decided to check my (US) metacam bottles as well...both that I have received in the last 3 months have Lbs on the drawing syringe. Lot #'s 558664 exp. July 30 2017 and 558666 exp. July 31 2017.

Is just the syringe the problem or is the medication affected? Should I report it to the company and have you posted this at BB also? :wave:

Oh!
So does it have kg written on the box but lbs on the syringe?
My bottle of loxicom says distributed by Norbrook Australia. Where is yours from?

I didn't post on BB but I think I will! I don't see the loxicom brand mentioned much on there.

p.s. I just literally just finished emailing you about something else. :wave:

Last edited:
MM, if you plan to contact the company, the contact person (Quality Advisor) in the first link I gave might be your best bet.
On the Norbrook site, the email contact info is same for all branches, but the phone & fax numbers vary.

Oh!
So does it have kg written on the box but lbs on the syringe?
My bottle of loxicom says distributed by Norbrook Australia. Where is yours from?

I didn't post on BB but I think I will! I don't see the loxicom brand mentioned much on there.

p.s. I just literally just finished emailing you about something else. :wave:

Hm. I'll have to check. Not sure about that. Nor do I know who it comes from. I have to call my vet back in Alaska anyway to have Griff's records faxed to my new vet, so I'll leave a note with them as well, since they do use this extensively in the practice. Really hoping the metacam itself isn't messed up as well, but I kind of doubt it. This seems to be a production error of the company that makes the syringes more than anything else.

I don't know that it will really make a difference for the average bunny parent. I didn't notice any difference in the markings because I only use the drawing syringe to load my dosing ones, but it might be important to anyone using the draw to inject with. :shock: Since it seems to involve both metacam and loxicom (we do get a few overseas folks at BB ;) ) it's good to let everyone know.

Wonder how it's only been caught now as it's obviously been going on for awhile. :?

I'll be replying to your email shortly. :D

Sorry, I missed your earlier question. I'm pretty sure the medication itself is okay. Many folks use their own syringes like yourself, so hopefully that had help avoid any overdosing incidences.
It's likely dogs most at risk as I understand they don't tolerate higher doses like rabbits can.

Have posted in other forum now. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

Last edited:
Back