• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - advice greatly appreciated!

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Hi

I am seriously considering getting a third rabbit to bond with my two bonded bunnies.

I have already spotted one on the rabbit rehome website but before I go ahead I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Basically I would like to know what peoples' thoughts are on whether it is a good idea to introduce a third rabbit to an already bonded pair, and if it can be done, whether it is best to introduce each one seperately or altogether. Both my rabbits are very placid and I don't think either one is more dominant than the other.

I have looked into the idea of getting another pair of bonded bunnies and keep the 2 pairs seperately but as my rabbits currently have the run of all the garden and shed I think they might get a bit upset if I sectioned part of their garden off permanently, although I would be quite happy to do this temporarily during the bonding process.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

I think it can.

I have a 3 group, but they are mother and 2 sons, although she was split up for them for ages while they were being spayed etc, plus Bunnys daughter who she shared wth died during spay so it was inevitable that she went with Cadbury and twinkle.

Anyway, I would try it like bonding a pair, let them get to know each other gradually. And of course, give it time. It took me over 1 year to bond Keegan and millie together.

Hi Amelia, I do a lot of bunny bonding work here at the Bunny Sanctuary, basically bunnies arrive for a holiday and to be bonded with a new pal or two at the same time.
Heather is right in that the process can take a long time, but it can be speeded up if you all your bunnies to a completely neutral area that none of them have been in before (hence why neutral ground at the Sanctuary works) and section a bit of the new space off , keeping the original bunnies next to but apart from the new bunny.
Swop the bunnies around regularly between the sectioned off space and the larger area, so that they always smell ones anothers smells, and it confuses them as to if there is an intruder in their territory or part of their clan!
We have had little success with groups of three, as what often occurs is IF the two do accept the third, eventually two really pal up and the third gets left out and fights can result.
We always introduce two bunnies to another two bunnies...the original paired up bunnies feel more secure as they have an friend with which to cope with this change of circumstance....secure bunnies are happy bunnies and more likely to bond.
When introducing bunnies have a tray with which you can separate them quickly if a fight breaks out, but do not put your hand between them, else they could draw blood.
If Bunnies actually go to bite one another, it is very unlikely they will ever bond, if they just do a bit of fur pulling this is not too bad, but they need short times together at first, gradually building the time spent with each other.
iN the sanctuary we have bonded some bunnies almost instantly and most within one to two weeks but this is with intensive bonding sessions and me supervising throughout the day.
It is always a gamble trying to pair bunnies up, as some bunnies never accept a companion however hard you try, so you cannot force things, just work towards the goal.
Good luck and If I can help further please pm.
Best wishes
Adele and all the sanctuary bunnies :D

I managed to bond 3 unrelated french lops together but is is rare to be able to do it, it all depends on the temperment of all the bunnies concerned. I alreaded had a bonded pair male and female neutered and then i got another french lop male who was 12 weeks old. All of mine were houserabbits and i had a plan b if they didnt get on. I took the bonded pair with me in the car when i collected the new frenchie. They had a dog bed on the backseat, i introduced the new one to them and they all snuggled up together on the trip home. When we got home i let them settle in their bedroom, i had put a seperate dog cage in for the new bunny with a fence that onlyu the little one couyld get through. They got on great. The only problem i had was when the little one was just comming up to the time of being neutered. I had about a week where he decided he was top rabbit and he was going to have the doe, but the other neutered male put him in his place.
anne

:) Hi Amelia

yep I think Adele and the other posts are spot on and they have loads of experience in bunny bonding.

I'm a relative novice at Bonding but did have to help bond my two girlies earlier in the year and their Aunt Adele helped in final stages to make the bonding process complete.

All I'd say Amelia is "dont give up" - I had many a night spent in the Kitchen in a neutral zone with my two - giving them small amounts of time together - there were a few scuffles and at times I was sure my heart couldn't cope with the stress of worrying if it was ever going to work between them.

But now seeing them so happy together makes it all worth while - and there are so many knowledgable folks on here to lend a hand so hopefully your bonding bunnies will work out great together.

Thanks very much for all your advice.

Lany, I can't believe how much your Buffy looks like my Mr Bump!
:D

Back