• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tell me your views

nicola

Young Bun
Ok i have got one of the rabbit pens from pws greenline(on rabbit rehome) which fully made up is HUGE! i have got a piece of lino for the floor (to protect my carpet!!)I have various toys, boxes etc for bunnies to play in.I dont really want to take up the pen with a cage so what shall i do for a bed??i do have a spare indoor cage which i guess i could use but i just wondered what you guys do?hmmm :? or i could have the indoor cage in the pen with the side door always open,then they could come and go as they pleased??but they might jump on top of the cage and jump out fo the pen??? :?: :?:

A lot of indoor bunnies don't have a bed as such at all, they just have a cat basket or comfy corner. A box might be nice incase they feel like hiding but I imagine they probably won't use it much. If you look in diy/homeware stores you should be able to find big plastic storage boxes which you can cut a door (and ir holes) in to make a bed. If you put it in the middle then hopefully they won't be able to use it as a launch pad ;)

Tam

Whot about a travel box the cat kind that would give him the chance of a closed off area when he wants a bit of peace. val

I have tried giving my bunnies a bed in the form a soft cat bed - but they all ended up using it as a toilet... so I gave up. They now sleep anywhere where they feel comfortable!

Vera

Flump just had a blanket in the kitchen and would sleep on that, or under the coffee table in the lounge.

Eventually we got him a big cardboard box to go on his blanket and he liked that a lot. We cut a door in it for him and he would often lie with his face poking out to survey our comings and goings. He really enjoyed modifying the doorway to his tastes too.

Jeremy said:
He really enjoyed modifying the doorway to his tastes too.
...yes! and THATS why folks poor Flump has now been banished outside to the shed :lol: :lol: :lol: ..only teasing!!.
In reality Jeremy is an absolute star, as he has been very busy building his three bunnies a lovely Des Res outside for the Summer... :D :D :D

Hiya Nicola,

I've just bought one of the rabbit pens too, but I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I'm glad you asked the question about a bed, because I was wondering the same too!!!!

Are they really that huge when made up? I'm hoping to make two separate runs. A small one as an attachment to their cage, and big run for outside!

Karen xxx

I have nearly bought the pws cage many times but I have big bunnies. Im just sure they will jump the height or move a box and then use it to jump the height. Anyone with big buns have experience of this.

I have one that I have used as a run, I have a french lop, she's still only little but I could see it was only a matter of time (minutes) till she'd work out she could jump it!
So I made the run smaller and attached two panels to the top so it had a lid. I do believe you can order an extra two panels to use as a top.

I'm going to get some more as I have also now made it into an indoor enclosure for her and still want to use one as a run, although the indoor cage is in there too, from reading these posts I shall take it out and use a dog bed or box instead. Only then I'll have an empty cage. . . . :roll: :lol:

A big success for a bunny bed is a large solid paper bag like a paper trash bag (see pic in my album). Tweed loves to nap in his. He likes going in and out the entrance and probably the darkness inside (like a burrow?). He also naps in a corner of the room on a little carpet square which I gave him because the floor of his room is just polished boards. He has his own carrier box with hay inside which he can use for a bedroom if he wants, but he chooses not to. Maybe a small piece of carpet inside the bag OR some hay inside the bag would encourage your bunny.

PS More thoughts on bag versus box or topless bed....they can't use the bag as a step-ladder to escape the pen......bag provides cover which open bed doesn't. Bag is cheap and if it doesn't work, no money/time wasted. Downside? Bag looks terrible. Visitors to bunny room think bunny is 'going through the rubbish' like a stray dog!! Especially as Tweed has another bag, rather chewed, which spews out his collection of toilet roll inners, odd bits of cardboard and wrecked toys of all descriptions.

Great pics!

The bag is a good idea.

The dry food I use is in a strong bag like that, It's huge though 20kg. When its empty I shall put it in her run, I imagine she'll have great fun in it! :bunny:

Thanks for that kiwi bunny, I would never have thought of it.

Back