• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French lop vs Minni lop?

GeoHiccup

Young Bun
Can I have some comments below of your experiences with French lops and Mini lops? :D
I am adamand to get a frenchie as they're so big and sweet, I've been told they're very cuddly and quite calm whereas mini lops can be slightly more energetic and curious?
I thought it would be a nice place to discuss all the positive fun points about your french and mini lops :D

I have a mini lop, and she is easily the sweetest bun I've ever had. Very affectionate and cuddly - but then again, I could have just touched lucky to be honest, I certainly feel it. Had a french lop in the past, she was sweet, not a bad bone in her body but just more nervy, on the other hand, the other small lop (though not quite mini really) I had at the time was super cuddly as a youngster, but turned out to be an absolute horror. Then again, these were outdoor buns whereas Autumn the mini is indoor. Micky, my late bun (harlequin in my sig), was again super sweet yet not nervy at all and he was an outdoor rabbit.

I think in all honesty, you need to be prepared that if you get a young bun, you have no way telling of how their personalities are going to turn out and a lot of is simply luck of the draw I'm afraid. Buns, by their nature are usually not all that 'cuddly' to be honest, and it's best if as owners we accept this before getting into ownership of a bun, because if they don't turn out cuddly, it's a 10-12 year commitment! :D I'm well aware Autumns personality could change, she already has wee tantrums as it is.

Rescues are excellent because the people who will run the rescue will be able to tell you all about the personality of the rabbit, and being older and neutered, you are a bit more safe that the personality won't change. Neutering does help with hormone related behaviour which can make rabbits grumpy. Good Luck :wave:

I have had 2 lops both around 2.5kg, so I suppose they would be called mini lops.
Both have/had ( lost one recently at 13.5 yrs , the black and white lop in my signarure)
fantastic super cuddly characters.
A lot more cuddly than my other rabbits, which are also very sweet and cuddly, but just not to the extreme as the 2 lops.

Never had a French lop, so can't compare ;-).

I've had four minis. As youngsters they were very, very lively. The boys liked a cuddle, the girls didn't.

As JessBun pointed out, rabbits are not cuddly animals by nature - which is one of the reasons they are such bad pets for children and can end up stuck in a hutch and ignored - or in Rescues.
Don't forget to check out Rescues before you buy from a breeder - they often have young ones and, if possible, I feel it is much more satisfying to adopt one of the 70 odd thousand rabbits who have ended up being unwanted through no fault of their own. Also generally rabbits are much happier and more content as one of a bonded (usually M/F) neutered pair. I don't know whether you've looked at the Photographs section and seen pics of couples?
If you are adamant about buying from a breeder, which is your choice after all, please do your research carefully: not all are as scrupulous as they should be.

As JessBun pointed out, rabbits are not cuddly animals by nature - which is one of the reasons they are such bad pets for children and can end up stuck in a hutch and ignored - or in Rescues.
Don't forget to check out Rescues before you buy from a breeder - they often have young ones and, if possible, I feel it is much more satisfying to adopt one of the 70 odd thousand rabbits who have ended up being unwanted through no fault of their own. Also generally rabbits are much happier and more content as one of a bonded (usually M/F) neutered pair. I don't know whether you've looked at the Photographs section and seen pics of couples?
If you are adamant about buying from a breeder, which is your choice after all, please do your research carefully: not all are as scrupulous as they should be.

Babsie has said everything that was going through my mind :D

Defo get from a rescue.

Then you will know about the character and possible health issues which breeders will not tell you about.

I have had both breeds and absolutely love French lops. Mine have been very chilled out and just love being stroked and fussed . I have had mine from babies so they have been handled regularly and used to dogs and my young grand daughter. I also own a conti which was a new breed to me and a lot different from French lops. But although not so cuddly is such a character and so much fun. Good luck with your choice. X

I had a mini lop (from a rescue with his friend a lionhead x) he was very sweet and gentle. Never had any other kind of lop to compare him with.

I've had two french lop bucks and they were completely different characters.
One was like a puppy, always seemed cheery and bright, very active, followed me about and climbed all over me. He didn't really like being stroked though and hated being picked up.
The other was a lazy, grumpy old man type but he loved head rubs and strokes and didn't mind being picked up at all.
One thing they did have in common is that they were both a bit dopey.

Loved them both very much for different reasons and my next rabbit will undoubtedly be a giant because I love their big feet and their silly ears and the way they lollop about, but I'd definitely get an adult rabbit if I wanted a particular personality rather than relying on breed stereotypes.

French lops are my favourite breed .
I've had french lops and mini lops, my mini was definitely more highly strung !

Loving and fun to watch :)

French lops adore fuss but I wouldn't say they are any more cuddly than other breeds , most still don't like to be picked up !
They are pretty lazy, Robin will lay around for hours some days.

They eat loads and require alot of space .
And also don't live as long as smaller rabbits :cry:

But I love them , I love their big cubed heads and sturdy frames :)

Back