• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Delilah and her persistent scab

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Those of you who were around in the summer may remember that Delilah came down with very severe atypical myxomatosis :( She made it through, but has had one scab across the bridge of her nose that just won't shift! It's over 5 months now, and it seemed to have completely stopped granulating and attempting to heal itself. So I've been taking her to see the vet who does acupuncture for my cats' arthritis. There's a technique called 'surrounding the dragon' which is basically prodding all around the edges of the wound with an acupuncture needle in order to deliberately create some gentle damage and stimulate the blood supply in the hope that it kicks off the healing again. It seems to be working, the scab is definitely starting to shrink back a bit and peel up at the edges.

I've also been starting to give Delilah some 'dates' with her son Pablo, in the hope that they will eventually bond. She isn't spayed yet as I want to give her body a good long time to rest and recover before elective surgery, so we are taking it slowly. So far, so good. She now rushes towards him and grooms his face whenever she sees him, he is still a little nervous of her but he has done some grooming and also tries to nibble at her scab, which she isn't all that impressed about. Last weekend they spent 2.5 hours together in one go though and it was all fine, so I'm cautiously optimistic that these two will bond!

Before acupuncture:
IMG_8971_zpszabrbj6w.jpg

Really not bothered by vets visits :lol:
IMG_9652_zpsbfj1kaok.jpg

After:
IMG_9558_zps8vfryl2z.jpg

Having a sit down not quite together, but not all that bothered by each other, either!
IMG_9648_zpsdojxha2b.jpg

:wave: Those of you who were around in the summer may remember that Delilah came down with very severe atypical myxomatosis :( She made it through, but has had one scab across the bridge of her nose that just won't shift! It's over 5 months now, and it seemed to have completely stopped granulating and attempting to heal itself. So I've been taking her to see the vet who does acupuncture for my cats' arthritis. There's a technique called 'surrounding the dragon' which is basically prodding all around the edges of the wound with an acupuncture needle in order to deliberately create some gentle damage and stimulate the blood supply in the hope that it kicks off the healing again. It seems to be working, the scab is definitely starting to shrink back a bit and peel up at the edges.

I've also been starting to give Delilah some 'dates' with her son Pablo, in the hope that they will eventually bond. She isn't spayed yet as I want to give her body a good long time to rest and recover before elective surgery, so we are taking it slowly. So far, so good. She now rushes towards him and grooms his face whenever she sees him, he is still a little nervous of her but he has done some grooming and also tries to nibble at her scab, which she isn't all that impressed about. Last weekend they spent 2.5 hours together in one go though and it was all fine, so I'm cautiously optimistic that these two will bond!

Before acupuncture:
IMG_8971_zpszabrbj6w.jpg

Really not bothered by vets visits :lol:
IMG_9652_zpsbfj1kaok.jpg

After:
IMG_9558_zps8vfryl2z.jpg

Having a sit down not quite together, but not all that bothered by each other, either!
IMG_9648_zpsdojxha2b.jpg

Good luck with the acupuncture :) I've not tried that before!

Also hope the bonding goes OK - trying to nibble at her scab indeed :roll: No way to treat a lady!

I don't know...but even if they don't quite remember, the smell must be familiar, so maybe that helps? These two haven't been behaving like mother and son, it's been pretty much like any other bond, but they haven't shown any aggression to each other at all. In today's update, scab off!

IMG_9717_zpsncltqrnz.jpg

IMG_9718_zpsjvfswqje.jpg

I don't know...but even if they don't quite remember, the smell must be familiar, so maybe that helps? These two haven't been behaving like mother and son, it's been pretty much like any other bond, but they haven't shown any aggression to each other at all. In today's update, scab off!

IMG_9717_zpsncltqrnz.jpg

IMG_9718_zpsjvfswqje.jpg

Amazing! Great news! :D

It was helped a bit by Pablo :lol: I was doing a bonding session and he went up to her to have a little nibble and it just peeled off, and the pair of them just sat there and looked at it like OMG :lol: But it must have been almost ready to come off as it hasn't bled or anything, even though it still looks a little sore. Four sessions of acupuncture over about 2.5 weeks!

It was helped a bit by Pablo :lol: I was doing a bonding session and he went up to her to have a little nibble and it just peeled off, and the pair of them just sat there and looked at it like OMG :lol: But it must have been almost ready to come off as it hasn't bled or anything, even though it still looks a little sore. Four sessions of acupuncture over about 2.5 weeks!

I reckon that should heal up fine in a few weeks ! :D

Pablo!!

So glad it's off, but it does look gross :lol:
I can imagine I would be like OMG as well!

Wow :D

Some of Tethra's Treponema scabs took ages to come off and one in particular seemed to have a large hole underneath it. They have all healed now, although he has a few scars.

Delilah has done amazingly well and it will be wonderful for her to have a bond with her son. I have a Mum, Dad and Son and they are all incredibly close, but whether this is just their characters or whether anything to do with being family members is impossible to say.

I hope the bonding continues to go well.

Wow :D

Some of Tethra's Treponema scabs took ages to come off and one in particular seemed to have a large hole underneath it. They have all healed now, although he has a few scars.

Delilah has done amazingly well and it will be wonderful for her to have a bond with her son. I have a Mum, Dad and Son and they are all incredibly close, but whether this is just their characters or whether anything to do with being family members is impossible to say.

I hope the bonding continues to go well.

I had been wondering about Tethra, Omi.

I tried to find the old thread to ask you to update, so thank you for doing so here :)

This is how it looks now. I can't quite decide whether that middle bit is just cartilage without any skin over it.
IMG_9725_zpsrycqim7s.jpg

And here's the end of Sprüngli's nose now, she has four nostril holes since the nodule fell off
IMG_9733_zpshcekdqss.jpg

Update: Delilah has continued to see the vet about her nose - that middle bit is indeed just bone, so we are carrying on the acupuncture to try and encourage the skin to heal over it. In the meantime, we've carried on bonding and they have now bonded nicely and have been permanently together for about 5 days now :)

IMG_9784_zpsorzdhcad.jpg

IMG_9793_zpsbvka2gra.jpg

Aww adorable pictures of the two of them together :love: But her poor nose :shock::(

ETA I presume if that was a human, they would use a skin graft.

Last edited:
Update: Delilah has continued to see the vet about her nose - that middle bit is indeed just bone, so we are carrying on the acupuncture to try and encourage the skin to heal over it. In the meantime, we've carried on bonding and they have now bonded nicely and have been permanently together for about 5 days now :)

IMG_9784_zpsorzdhcad.jpg

IMG_9793_zpsbvka2gra.jpg

What lovely photos, they are definitely at ease with one another :D

Sorry about the bone. I'm surprised there was a scab at all if there was no skin underneath to support it.

Back