• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beano is unexpectedly spending the night at the vets

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I took Beano to see the vet nurse to have her back end shaved as she gets matted, in her older age she's not been keeping up with her grooming and spends time sat in the litter trays. Her arthritis plays a part in this too so we do things to manage it. This time I was struggling with it so took her to the vets, it was worse than I'd noticed and under the mat her skin had torn :cry: It looked awful and I hadn't noticed, I feel terrible. It was really big so she's had to keep her in as she'll need stitches and pain relief and then it can be shaved while she's under GA. Poor Beano, I only took her on her own as thought it would be a 10 minute trip so Jake is here on his own. The vets said I could take him in but really he is likely to chew at her stitches as he's into everything and does pull her fur so they'd rather keep them separate, I'm working all day every day until Christmas day now so I don't have the time to rebond if they fight when she returns. I've also been quoted £300, which I really wasn't expecting to pay. I've only just payed off Jack's vet bill yesterday. I just hope she'll be ok and her and Jake will be ok together when she comes home :(

Aww, bless her hopefully she'll heal soon. Please don't feel bad, these things happen she is lucky to have you as her owner xx

Sorry Liz, I'm sure she will be on the mend soon.

Obviously all rabbits are different, but we recently had to separate our trio, so that Buffy could be inside with Sydney while he was ill. She was inside for two weeks with only a few visits from Theo, but they have been great since I put them back together. Theo was a bit humpy at first, but soon settled. (Sadly Sidney passed :().

Hope things work out ok x

Thank you all. I can't imagine how sore it must have been, yet her behaviour or anything didn't change and I check her daily! I haven't heard anything yet, the vets said if I haven't heard anything by 9pm then to ring, of course I can ring anytime to see how she is but I'll hang on a bit yet.

Eta: threeB's I'm sorry Sidney has passed, but thank you for sharing that I hope beano and jakes bond will be ok xx

Aww, when you bring her home rub her with some of the existing bedding (top half not near the wound obviously) and that should help make sure she smells right and avoid any squabbles.

Thank you everyone. She's doing well, I've been at work since 7am and am on my break now and have missed calls from the vets and had a message saying they've booked an appointment to collect at 5.30pm, I finish work at 5pm and wont be home until 6 at the earliest but my partner can collect but he doesn't have enough money to pay the bill so will need me to pay. I rang vets to explain this and they said the only appointment left is 5.30 but he'll need to pay when he collects her, but he cant so that wasn't very helpful so bit unsure what to do now!! I have to go back to work and wont get back to my phone until after I've finished now so cant ring again or contact partner. But I'm glad beano is doing well.

Back