• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urine drinking and fecal pool eating

I dont know where to put the thread, it could be health , diet or behaviour so please feel free to move it to the right one. xxx
Some of you may know we got Bleu a week ago and ive mentioned he is rather thin. He drinks his own urine and eats his dry fecal poops too (not cecals) He doesnt leave any cecals around and he eats really well both hay and pellets. He drinks from a water bowl and is a very lively binky bun. I am just wondering has he been neglected. I did notice when i went to get him the water bottles were green, hutches filthy and tiny too.
I wouldnt like there to be a health reason for this and im just wondering if he didnt have access to enough food and water has he learned to eat and drink his own. Sorry if this sounds silly but ive never heard of it in a bun. Any ideas or had buns thats done this. xx

I havent heard of this either but your theory sounds right to me. Poor little rabbit.

Your theory does sound plausible - it sounds like he really needed you to take him on . Lucky Bleu to have you now

I have never experienced this either, but cannot think of any other reason other than the one you have put forward. Hopefully there will be someone who has seen this before with their rabbit.

I took on a Netherland who was living in an indoor cage. It was so filthy I wouldn't take it indoors when I arrived home with him, so I made up a clean cage and transferrd him into it. The cage he came in mustn't have been cleaned out for a few months. Anyway, a week later I discovered he had fleas and I also noticed he ate his droppings. I would definitely get Bleu wormed as this might be the cause of him being underweight. It's just a 9 day course for worms, and hopefully he will start to gain some weight. Also check his fur for fleas, they leave black bits near the skin. I hope he will be a healthy rabbit, but with a bad start you can't be sure.

I've experienced urine drinking with Mimzy, but not fecal eating...however Pip will eat fecals but not drink urine. Mimzy has had head tilt but Pip is relatively healthy.

Just as a thought, but not to worry, you might have him checked for EC if he shows any other signs of illness. I think I've read somewhere that this is connected to the urine drinking somehow...probably because spores are found in the urine.

I have known Rabbits to drink their own wee as a pain response, especially ear pain or dental pain.

Has Bleu had a check up at the Vets ? Sorry if you have already mentioned this on another thread.

It may be a behavioural issue that Bleu learnt to alleviate boredom or due to stress, but it'd be a good idea to get him checked over by a Vet if you have not already done so as it sounds as though he has not had the best care in his previous home.

I dont know where to put the thread, it could be health , diet or behaviour so please feel free to move it to the right one. xxx
Some of you may know we got Bleu a week ago and ive mentioned he is rather thin. He drinks his own urine and eats his dry fecal poops too (not cecals) He doesnt leave any cecals around and he eats really well both hay and pellets. He drinks from a water bowl and is a very lively binky bun. I am just wondering has he been neglected. I did notice when i went to get him the water bottles were green, hutches filthy and tiny too.
I wouldnt like there to be a health reason for this and im just wondering if he didnt have access to enough food and water has he learned to eat and drink his own. Sorry if this sounds silly but ive never heard of it in a bun. Any ideas or had buns thats done this. xx

Thank you for your PM ... I shall write back xx

Ive got panacur in so will give him 9 days of that to be sure. He is booked in the vets 2nd of january for vaccine and health check. Hes a very lively bunny and does binkys most of the day, so i dont think he is in pain but i suppose you dont always know.Im hoping with fingers crossed its just behavioral but im watching him like an hawk. Thanks for you responses everyone going searching for fleas now. :lol:

Thumper drank his own wee throughout. A good vet thought he was just tasting to check his condition, but it was a bit more than that & I never understood it.
Re wastes. both buns attempted toeat their wastes if they had anaccident in the wrong place but not otherwise.
I'm sure that MM can help you.

Back